Author Topic: 42" Bronze Urn - time period? style? origin?  (Read 6030 times)

ProPintle

• View Profile
Re: 42" Bronze Urn - time period? style? origin?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 05:53:13 pm »
Thanks for that. As posted earlier I will re-search the urn for a makers mark.  I have reference books on pottery and porcelain maker marks and know how obscure they can be, More often than not looking like a scratch than a signature.  My listing of the item on Ebay is a resource for clues and exposure while I follow up on others resources including local Auctioneers and Auction Houses.  The cost to post the item for months is minor compared to the return it could give.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »
The best thing you can do with that piece is to consign it to a major auction house if you think its that valuable !! Or at least contact one and let them give you an appraisal !!  Might cost a few bucks for an appraisal but that might be your best route !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 12:41:08 am »
I totally agree with Mart. Over here in the UK you can get free pre-auction valuations, either by taking the item to the auction house or e-mailing photographs to them. This is only my opinion, but I see ebay as a market place that favors the buyers and not necessarily the sellers, and you won't necessarily get any useful information from the punters if it means that they could lose out on a bargain.

If I want to sell any high value items I will always do it privately or through a local auction, making sure that I have a good reserve on it. I would also opt for a local auction house with on-line catalogues as they can and do attract buyers from all over the globe, they are also cheaper than the major Auction Houses. Two that are local to me reduce the commission charged to only 10% if the hammer price is over £1000. That competes with ebay and you have all the benefits of their knowledge and security of payment.

Even if you end up deciding to pay for a valuation, that alone could save you $$$ if it turns out to be a valuable piece. Right now you are offering it for $999, and if someone bought it, and it turned out to be worth $2000, then that's $1000 lost that could have been saved with a small output of $$ for a proper valuation. Again, JMO.

waywardangler

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 07:07:44 am »
Mario, the urn is being offered at $999,999.00 or just $1 under a million. Does propintle's starting amount change your view at all?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:26 am »
ooops !  Looks like  I was out by a couple of factors!!   :-[

Yes, Wayward, it does a little  ;D Seeing as my comments were based on the fact that I was reading it as $1 short of a Thousand!

But maybe the principle is still sound??

waywardangler

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 09:28:40 am »
Your principle is sound, mario, but propintle's reasoning is not. Start at almost a million and want someone to inform him of what it is and what it is worth without doing the research/homework first? Just like other sellers with unreasonable expectations that are on eBay and craigslist.  JMO.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 11:12:20 am »
And the choir said AMEN!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 11:40:10 am »
Your principle is sound, mario, but propintle's reasoning is not. Start at almost a million and want someone to inform him of what it is and what it is worth without doing the research/homework first? Just like other sellers with unreasonable expectations that are on eBay and craigslist.  JMO.

I'm with you there ... and had I read it as $1 million, then I'd have probably saved my breath!  :D
And the other choir echoes 'Amen'
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:58:01 am by mariok54 »