Author Topic: Cut Glass collection value?  (Read 5023 times)

grandmastreasures

• View Profile
Cut Glass collection value?
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:51:05 am »
Hello, everyone. I have been going through our antiques that I'd like to evaluate. Below is a link to pictures of a small collection of cut glass that my grandmother began collecting in the early-mid 1900's. A large pitcher, a smaller pitcher, 3 bowls, a compote/candy dish, a bell, and a cup. If anyone has an idea as to the value of any of the pieces, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb400/crystalandglass/
Thanks!
Jeff

mart

• View Profile
Re: Cut Glass collection value?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:12:43 am »
Can you put the pics on here ?? Can`t tell enough from the ones on photobucket !! Candy dish looks to be pressed and etched rather than cut glass and I think your gilded cup is a depression era spooner !! Pics 1,2, the Fostoria, and the pitchers appear to be the best out of all !!  Have you looked for a mark anywhere on them !!  Are the edges good and sharp ?? Need closer pics !!

grandmastreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:46:51 am »
Thanks. I have tried to find markings, but could only find the one on the Fostoria bowl. I'll try to upload the pics here shortly. I don't know how sharp the edges should be, but I don't believe the pieces were used much.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:01:58 am »
All you need to do is to feel of pressed glass with the smooth rounded edges, then feel a piece of cut glass to know the difference !!  Cut glass feels like it would cut your hand if you pressed hard !! The edges are very distinct, sharp and crisp !!  The marks on some are hard to find and you literally have to go over it inch by inch !!  Then there are a few with no marks at all !!

grandmastreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:16 am »
Here are the tall pitcher and the bell.

grandmastreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:13 am »
Correction.. the previous post was the shorter pitcher and the bell. This is the taller pitcher.

grandmastreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:41:03 am »
Here are the two bowls without markings.

grandmastreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:42:41 am »
Here are the Fostoria bowl and the compote/candy dish.

grandmastreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:46:09 am »
Here's the cup and the close-up of the sandy mark within the Fostoria piece. I felt the edges of all the pieces, and the sharpest were the two non-Fostoria bowls, though I do believe there's sharpness on the others. I don't think they would cut my fingers though.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 12:45:27 pm »
I do not know much about glass but I would think lead crystal may be another quality to consider other than just cut glass vs. pressed glass.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 05:21:23 am »
I don`t know what that is but it does not look like any kind of a mark to me !!  Looks like something stuck on the dish !!  How did you determine that it is Fostoria ??

grandmastreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »
That happens to be the only item that had a mark that I could find. It's not shown in the photos, but it says Fostoria on the bottom.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:39:20 pm »
Then what is  the last pic ??  Bowl 3C  I think it was ??  Finding cut glass patterns is difficult !! And not knowing if it is actually ABP glass makes it almost impossible !!  Collectors Weekly had a few pitchers with basically the same shape as yours but a different pattern. That would be a good place to start your research. Sorry but yours is a "hands on" project !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 07:42:06 pm »
I bet ironlord would know much more about these than we do. Beautiful pieces you have there!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:15:06 pm »
    Nice Collection of Crystal Glass, Sorry I have pop in this thread a couple of times but have been sick the last couple of days.  Not very good a thinking and writing when you are not well.   First you have basically three grades of Glass.  Lead Crystal, having 24% lead content, Crystal Glass has some lead 1% to around 18%, Then you have glass.  A simple tap with a fork will usually give you a good ideal of What kind of Glass you have.  Run around you house and tap a few and quickly you will hear the difference.  Real quality lead Crystal will ring beautiful and have substain for several seconds and the Tumbler in you cupboard will have a dull thud.  Now you have the processes. Pressed Glass, Cut Glass, and Press Cut Glass, and Handblown too.  Pressed Pattern Glass has smooth edges around the pattern, much as mart mentioned, Cut glass which the pattern is actually Cut into the glass will be shaper feeling, not sure it will cut you but you will feel the difference. Press Cut is a combination of both pressed pattern and cut much like the Rose Bowl you have.  Of couse let us not get confused with PresCut.  PresCut was introduced by Mckee Glass in the late 19th century, it is pressed Glass made to look like Cut Glass, was made for the poorer folks like me.  Keep a eye out for pieces marked with PresCut, these are Mckee and can be moderataly Valueable.  The biggest issue with Pattern glass is it has been made since the mid 19th century by the tons, even today names like Mikasa, Gorham make fine pieces of pattern Glass.  So it can be hard to find the right pattern and name and then sometimes you have to look hard because patterns have repeated.  I have been finding under most cases with pattern glass, knowning the maker will not help much in the value, the look of the piece and quality of Glass is more important.  Age however can make a difference, if you can prove you have a EAPG (Early American Pressed Glass) Piece that can help the value, or even EAPC (Pressed Cut).  Sorry for the long winded post but this can get kind of confusing at first but will make sense with time and lots of touchy feeling work.    Now let me give a few notes on the pieces.  Coming next   :D