Author Topic: Ceramic Horse and Wooden Wagon  (Read 1720 times)

oombaba

• View Profile
Ceramic Horse and Wooden Wagon
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »
I Was Wondering if anyone would know the era this piece is from. I have researched a few websites including e-bay. But i was not able to find one like it. I have also checked the horse and wagon for markings, But could not find any. I bought it at an auction cause it looked interesting. I'm thinking maybe its from mexico since there are no markings. Any help would be appreciated.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Ceramic Horse and Wooden Wagon
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:59:13 pm »
Can you get some up-close photos of the hardware? The chains, nails, hooks and loops and anything metal might be the best way of determining age. I don't see any signs of wear or use that is normally associated with a child's toy in your photos, so I expect that this will turn out to be a modern reproduction. So if there is visible wear, chipped paint etc., pics of that would be helpful. Also look for a "gate mark". This is the mark or seam left by the mold the iron was cast in. Also take a look at the underside of the leather harness. If it is real leather, the reverse will be a natural hide. If it is vinyl, you will probably see some kind of man-made fibers
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:01:40 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 03:43:24 pm »
That looks too nice to be from Mexico. The detail looks too good. I am thinking Germany. Many mfgs used stickers rather than cast names or printed names. Stickers are easily removed. I have a brewery advertising piece that has two sets of horses, a wooden wagon with many wood barrels, and a driver. The harnesses are real leather, the wheels have metal bands around them like yours, and mine was made in West Germany (has stickers). The horses and driver are a composition similar to plastic but they are not ceramic.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:39:50 pm by waywardangler »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »
That wagon resembles a gypsy caravan.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:29:37 pm »
I am saying German or at least that area also !!  Not Mexico,, No Clydesdales there !!   Think Budweiser !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:13:08 am »
I'm with Sapphire in thinking that it's a model of a Romany/Traveller caravan. Have you looked on the underside of the horse for any markings? It's almost impossible to guess the  date of any unmarked ceramics with any accuracy, but look at the hooves for any sign of wear (again, won't be seen if it spent its life on a doily), or there might be some signs of crazing (but this could be down to age or a shorter life spent on a fire place)  ???

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »
The horse resembles a Clydesdale....

This type of item would have been the rage in the 60's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!