Author Topic: Retro Italian Pottery Cars  (Read 4504 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Retro Italian Pottery Cars
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:17:33 pm »
    I just picked up these 4 Italian Ceramic Retro cars last weekend at a Auction, Got the 4 of them for $40.00,  I just thought they was so Cool I had to have them.  Any way I need a bit of help.  They are marked with a paper label with the name Lucien Neuqualman on them.  I did find a famous Italian artist named Lucien Neuqualman who did painting born in the late 1800's and Died in the 1980's.  I also found a note that he did ceramics too.  However I can find any examples or proof that these was made by him.  If anyone may know how I can proof or Disprove this I would be most greatful.  Oh yea a couple have signature on them I will take a pick of that too maybe this will help.  Thanks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Re: Retro Italian Pottery Cars
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:32:57 pm »
Here is the pics of the Signature on the bottom of two of the cars, two are unmarked, but based on the style espically the Wheel, I am sure they are done by the same artist, I also included a pic of the label.  Thanks again

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:46:03 pm »
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lucien-neuquelman-1909-1988-french-art-pottery

"I have found (in searches) that Lucien Neuquelman is known for figures in armourous scenes and also for pottery vases."

http://www.fast-autos.net/diecast-cars-models/L-NEUQUELMAN-ART-POTTERY-PARIS-FRANCE-HP-COUPLE-FIGURE_200567627600.html

Managed to grab the photo on Google search, it's no longer showing up in the outdated listings

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:50:35 pm »
   Yea I found the bottom one before, been looking for his signature on the bottom,  Have found a couple on his painting a bit different but looks likes his handwritting, only a short version of  his name.  Maybe I go find that example again. 

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »
And another, but still no distinct signature.  Still looking   ;)

http://www.20thcenturylondon.org.uk/server.php?show=conObject.2551&pp=10&search_word=&catId%5B6%5D%5B0%5D=00200600400k&currentPage=1&from_cat=&current_browser_obj%3Cspan%20style=

"This large pottery cockerel is one of a series of presentations given to London Transport by the Métro de Paris. The cockerel, made by French post-impressionist artist Lucien Neuquelman, represents of the City of Paris.

Production Date:
1954"

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »
 ??? Lucien Neuquelman looks like "Gianni" on the bottoms. Am I missing something in this translation?

Gianni is a common Italian name for John. I cannot find any ceramics that even remotely resemble these cars. They appear to be caricatures of vehicles and especially the one with the nun in it. The painting looks like it has been hastily applied which leads me to believe these are relatively new tourist trade items and thus relatively inexpensive.

I just do not see any connection to a Lucien Neuquelman. Labels can be applied to anything and may only be what someone thought they were.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:33:08 pm by waywardangler »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:22:10 pm »
     No not missing a thing Wayward,  When looking at painting done by him, I found a Signature that had the same style of writing, one does really appear to be Gianni, but the other one looks like the last part of the signature almost, Almost looks like possible Qualman.  I am having a had time believing the paper label myself, but after snooping around a couple of possibilites came into play,  So I decided to post and see what can be proved or disproved about the handwritten paper label.  Only one car had the label on it and it was the green bottom one, the other had a label that said Italian Pottery.  But the style of all three looks alike.  Thus my confusion, maybe I should look mare into the name Gianni.   

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 10:31:04 pm »
    O.k. Thanks for the new direction Wayward,   How about this could be a Gianni Toso piece.  Famous Glass maker in italy, I have found some examples of his pottery works also and sure starting to look like a match.  I have to look a bit more, that just may be bigger then Neuqualman.  I check back in tomorrow and look a bit more.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 10:35:07 pm »
Gianni Toso's piece I saw looked more like your cars in style but Toso was a glass artist and not a ceramic artist. I do not think there is a connection.

I thought "firenze" which means Florence would be a clue but nothing. I can find nothing resembling your pieces, ironlord. "Italian majolica car" in an image search turned up a car but no match to yours.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:50:46 pm by waywardangler »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:01 pm »
   Yea I say Gianni pieces too they were glass but really close to the style.  Found one kind of like it on ebay by putting in the words Italian Retro Pottery, not as cool but close.  I will be looking more, They are just so cool I want to know more about them I guess.  Thanks for all the help and direction.  I got so many cool thing at the last auction going to be researching lots of stuff.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:38:53 am »
They are interesting pieces, Ironlord, but can't find anything like them, or reference to a potter who signed themselves Gianni. Interesting Cornette that the nun is wearing which could probably date it to pre 60s, unless the pieces are truly Retro in style.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 06:10:14 am »
ironlord, why not give this place a shot..........

http://italianpotterymarks.freeforums.org/index.php
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:18:50 am by sapphire »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 07:06:03 pm »
Wayward, I was right with you.  I was seeing Gianni or Giavanni....
LOLLOL

Love the whimsical style of these....I have come up with all the same information that you/Wayward have.  My memory recalls we had a few pieces with same signature pop up on this site over the years.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:34:38 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!