Author Topic: value of ivory if ivory?  (Read 1521 times)

rikkisalmond

• View Profile
value of ivory if ivory?
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:26 am »
hey folksI inhrited a beleived ivory tusk from my unlce which he purchased in africa . it is 40 cm tall and has a jungle scene engraved into it with various animals and plants from ground to sky. not sure how to upload pics but if u want them send me an email and i will send them through that for you or let me kno how to post pics lol.
thanks
rikki

pic been put up as attachment
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:15:36 am by rikkisalmond »

Rgreen687

• View Profile
Re: value of ivory if ivory?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:23 pm »
Hard to tell from a picture Best thing to do is the hot pin test. Take a sewing needle and heat it up till red hot. in an unseen spot probably bottom would be the best try and stick it in if its plastic it will smell like chemicals and go right in. if its Ivory It will not penetrate it. also the smell of Ivory will smell like the dentist during a root canal. If it is real you could be looking at $1,000 and up in my opinion. Even if its fake though it will still be worth a couple hundred dollars. I would do some research of exactly where and when it was purchased that could help.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »
Ivory trading/buying/selling is pretty regulated right now. The original bill of sale would be advantageous to have with this piece. Your pics are too small to tell if it is ivory or not.  The carving does not appear to look too African but more for the tourist trade.

Go to the "Special Threads and Exceptional Information" forum and read on how to tell if it is real ivory. http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php/topic,6485.0.html

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:43:31 pm »
Ivory comes under the CITES agreement and it needs to pre-date 1947 in order for it to be bought and sold. Hopefully it was old when your Uncle bought it. This makes it difficult to value really. My advice would be to contact a reputable auction house