Author Topic: Help in identifying this...uh...thing  (Read 11956 times)

velodude88

Help in identifying this...uh...thing
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:59:42 pm »
This object is about 7" long and about 3 1/2" wide, made of fairly thin metal (tin?). It's painted silver, has what's been described as pineapple, pine cone or fish scale pattern and has a screw top. It's about half filled with what look likes shot (variable sizes but around 3/16" in diameter). I've had a couple different opinions as to what it could be: 1) shot flask (hence the shot in it) or; sash weight. I've searched pretty extensively and have yet to see anything like it in either category. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:53:55 am by velodude88 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help in identifying this...uh...thing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »
It does look like a shot flask !! Approx same size as a few I looked at !!  Does the top unscrew ?? The pattern on the metal is just for appearances and doesn`t help with identification !!  There are many different patterns on the ones I looked at !!  It may at one time have had a top spout for powder measurements since the ones I looked at could be used for either black powder or shot !!

velodude88

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:01:11 pm »
Yes, the top does unscrew although it's a little bent and the screw top doesn't work very well. Thanks for your input.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:35:09 pm »
I don`t see anything about it that makes me think sash weight !! Where the holes are on the sides could be for metal rings that a strap attached to so it could be carried over the head and around the shoulder. Similar to a ladies shoulder strap purse !!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »
I would say with 99% certainty that this is not a shot flask.

The two holes on each side appear to have been for a wire bail of some sort.  It is very possible that it is a ballast of some type but I do not think a sash weight unless it is an external one.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:32 am »
It looks like the weights for a Cuckoo clock,

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:29:57 am »
Tex - Not sure why that made me laugh but it did.  It does look like it could come off a cuckoo clock! How on earth did you think of that?  
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

jgardner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 07:42:19 am »
@ Tex, amazing you said that about it eing a weight for a coo coo clock.. that would be my best guess. Just not sure why there are holes on the side. Usually it would attach thru an eyelet at the top (where it is screwed off)

velodude88

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:21:10 am »
That would be one monster of a cuckoo clock! The two holes on the side do look like they're made for some sort of wire clip for holding or carrying the thing. If not a shot flask nor a sash weight, it appears that it would be some sort of ballast...and it could be adjustable based on how much shot (or whatever it is) was in it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:56 am »
I still think it could be a shot flask!!!  My first glance said cuckoo clock and I didn't dare post it the other day or I know all of you would laugh so loud I could hear you here!  But...they don't have connectors to hand from the sides even in older clocks.  

I personally thought if it is somewhat smaller...more along the lines of a chatelaine for a lady!  BUT they made them all sizes and designs for men as well.  The following site has some of the more ornate/nicer ones ones I have seen in a long time!

For many examples at http://www.ambroseantiques.com/hornsflasks.htm

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:22:46 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:39 pm »
It is not a shot flask or a powder flask. No hunter is going to unscrew some small cap in the field and then drop it and not have a cap anymore. The flasks KC pictured are actually powder flasks for black powder. Shot was usually carried in a leather shot pouch that had a spring loaded lever with a cut-off in the spout to measure the load and then easily pour it down the barrel.

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 12:16:04 pm »
The pine cone design leads to the clock possibility. I wonder if it could possibly be a draw cord weight for a Victorian era curtain or something similar.

The fact that it has two holders for a wire bail would allow this weight to rotate or swing and always stay upright. It also has a design so this would be visible and not hidden in something.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:40:27 pm by waywardangler »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 05:14:50 pm »
Okay....I am dingy and didn't put powder flask.  Thanks for calling me on it....so needed!  I still have to venture further.

Can't get on long enough to do anything with all the electrical/thunder storms rolling through the past few days!  Lost electrical for awhile today as well.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:44 pm »
Not really calling you on it, KC. I think you just had powder flask mixed up with shot flask. Something we all do from time to time.  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 11:35:03 pm »
Especially when we've been sippin' on the whiskey flask!  ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery