Author Topic: antique headboard  (Read 1700 times)

gmccree

• View Profile
antique headboard
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »
I have an antique headboard I know to be about 80 yrs. old manufactured by the gerald stein co. of marianna pa. it is a king and i curious of the value as I am trying to sell it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: antique headboard
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:52:00 pm »
What you have there is a tufted rococo headboard. Rococo refers to the style, tufted refers to the upholstered part. Here is a similar one selling new, with just the frame for $2,000 http://www.theparisapartment.com/boutique/index.php?p=448 but I am not at all sure you could sell it for anything close to that. Perhaps we can come up with some other price examples now that we've got it ID'd.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:19:41 pm »
In looking at your first pic, it looks like a composite material rather than wood. Note the edges !!  Something tells me that this headboard is not as old as is stated !!  Could there have been an error in the age of it ??  Many of these were made in the 70`s !!

gmccree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:50:34 pm »
Thanks for all the info and after reading the posts i checked the shipping tag and the last revision date is 1948 but it is solid wood. Our information is that this was a gift special ordered and shipped to a woman my wife cared for until her death. She apparently received it as a wedding gift. She died about 15 yrs ago and was 90 then.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »
I love it! Just my style. What part of the country are you in? One that nice would go for about $300-$400 in my area (Seattle). They don't fetch much more than that around here.  Most people like modern stuff these days.

gmccree

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:10:14 pm »
I am in Southern Illinois. My wife and I love it too but don't have room for a  king size bed (I wish) and it is just taking up storage space so thought I would let someone who could enjoy it buy it. Thanks again to everyone for the comments and help!! :)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:22 pm »
One thing you got going for you is that the color of the headboard is "in" again   ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 11:50:18 pm »
Agree that if will most like warrant $200 - $500 depending on area...since it is newer.  The color is in again as stated earlier!  AND older pieces were made up to full sizes....you didn't find many antique King size beds! LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!