Author Topic: Old or just oldish ?  (Read 3478 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Old or just oldish ?
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:06:32 am »
Dropped in to the yard sale at a nearby church and saw this.  Reminded me of the old presses rolling around in the kitchen drawer at my dad's old family farm house. Just wondering if there is any way to gauge the age or should I just be happy with the memories it brings back?

It's actually much greyer than it looks here.......

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Old or just oldish ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:18:25 am »
I think that we have some buried in the kitchen somewhere, called them shortbread presses, about 3 1/2" in diameter, with a thistle design. Yours look a bit bigger? Ours date back to the 50s, as I'm sure they belonged to my parents, they look as good as new as I'm pretty sure no-one ever made any shortbread in this house!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:47:03 am »
The base is only 2 1/2" across. End to end, 6".  Either it's been somewhere exposed to elements for quite some time or it's got a few years under it's belt. The old presses from the farm had slight cracks in a few, but from year and years of contact with butter had a very smooth (well oiled  ;) ) surface.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:58 am »
That looks to me like parts (handle and press) to a butter mold ...... minus the round mold itself.

Iffen yours had an eagle on it, you'd be looking at big bucks.

What it should look like assembled, to wit:

This is a bottom view of another one, to wit:

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 12:20:53 pm »
I've never seen butter molds like that before .. amazing what you pick up here!  :D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 01:10:56 pm »
It'll be a nice conversation piece and something to bring back the memories of 'up home'......kind of like the whiff of crayons taking you back to your childhood.  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:53:53 pm »
Its possible that the wood has shrunk since the handle and base are separate. I have a few and all the presses are one piece for mine !! Or yours may have had several bases so they could be switched at the ladies whim !!  Its not difficult to find the mold part. Sometimes they appear at flea markets if the press had disappeared !!  I love old butter molds !!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:10:44 pm »
Mario gave me an idea with the mention of a shortbread press......I'll have to mix up a batch and start stamping  :D

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:39 pm »
I'm with cogar on this as a butter mold. I have not heard of a shortbread press before but I have learned something new about many things on this forum.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:02:25 pm »
Well if you thought I was going to whip up a churn full of butter you'd better give your head a shake   :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 11:56:31 pm »
Yepper.... a butter mold!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:22:40 am »
Well now I wouldn't have any idea why one would want to press shortbread. ;D ;D ;D

Since no one has posted a picture of their per say "shortbread press" ....... I will take a gamble and buy all you got ...... at "shortbread press" prices, that is.

Because I'ma guessing what you are talking about having are in actuality .... "butter prints", ...... and if they are truly "oldies" ..... they are highly collectible and sale for the Big Buck prices depending on the "design".

For example, check this one out on LiveAuctioneers @ http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4196234

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:12:31 am »
Sorry Cogar ... Wrong!   ;D

Shortbread presses or moulds are used for getting that pattern on shortbread rounds. They can be quite small, say 3" in diameter, or even bigger.

I was going to photograph ours, but apparently we don't have them any more as the two we had I re-cycled  into wind-chime clappers a few years back when I was trying to find a use for lots of left over copper pipe sections.

But here is a traditional looking one, with the Thistle ...

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 06:06:07 am »
I've always known them as a butter press too. When I hear cookie press I think of the 'gun' with discs that spews out those elaborate shaped dough sculptures.

Then I dug around my kitchen drawer and found the 'non mechanical' version I'd forgotten I had, noticing on the box the name cookie stamps. So did a wee bit more searching using that term and lo and behold found this...

http://www.cookiemold.com/CookieMoldsCookieStamps.html

I think originally they were made for butter but over time became more of a multi use object.

My useful but oh so horribly plastic stamps......

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 07:39:06 am »
I make shortbread at Christmas and use my press (from the 90's). I think they could be used for both.  Most on ebay say cookie press/butter mold so the debate may be never ending!  :D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey