Author Topic: antique trunk?  (Read 12043 times)

latisha_sand

• View Profile
antique trunk?
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:04:30 pm »
I recently purchased a trunk at a flee market because I liked the looks of it for our living room. When I got it home and cleaned it up, my husband and I noticed some stickers on the sides. It also has a label on the inside of the lid. I have attached pictures of the front/top of the trunk, the label inside of the trunk and the label we found most interesting. It looks like a White Star Line sticker. We aren't sure if this is a real antique or just a reproduction. Thank you in advance.

mart

• View Profile
Re: antique trunk?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »
Could we get close ups of the trunk ?? The hardware on the front as well as the inside and the construction !!  Have to admit the stickers look good !!

latisha_sand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:35:55 pm »
Here are pictures of the hinge on the back, the inside of the trunk, the only hinge on the inside and one of the outside latches. Both latches and the three hinges on the back look the same.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:35:50 pm »
Welcome latisha! Might want to take a magnifying glass to the center lock.  I recently came into possession of a larger trunk and there was a makers name and patent date on the lock. (1892).  My trunk has the same or very similar outer latches as yours.

latisha_sand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »
I just looked at the center lock and there is a star on the top and then underneath, near where the key goes, it reads "PAT'D MAR 69"

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:58:10 pm »
I'm wondering if that might represent Star Lock Works?? The date seems to coincide.  If so, then it gives an approximate (but not totally accurate) date for your trunk.  Will check around a bit more ;)

http://www.thisoldtrunk.com/guestbook/index.html

Mike Garrity

posted: 11/02/2005
Was wondering if you can provide me any information about Star Works Trunks. These are the only markings on mine:

Top Latch:
PAT MAY 64
& 67
EXT 69

Bottom Lock:   
PAT MAR 1869
STAR LOCK WORKS PHILA

Moderator-Comment: Star Lock Works in Philadelphia made a variety of nice brass trunk locks for trunk makers. They didn't actually make the trunks, but they made really nice trunk locks. They were founded in 1836 by Mr. Liebrich and originally the locks were marked with C. Liebrich, Phila. and then in 1869 he retired and two partners, Hillebrand and Wolf took over the company and called it Star Lock Works. They made trunk locks and stays, keys, padlocks, latches and springs. An early trade card advertising Star Lock Works was shown in the Bicentenial exhibit for Philadelphia in 1976. I think they finally went out of business in the very late 1800s. This is a good question because many people think that the name on the lock would be the trunk maker, when in fact this is rarely the case. There were several large lock companies that made most of the trunk locks, including Eagle, Star, Yale, and Corbin. Many of the locks do have a patent date on them and that can help estimate the age of the trunk, but won't tell you who made it.

sapphire

• View Profile

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:09:03 pm »
http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=35X3B

"AN AMERICAN WOOD, CANVAS AND METAL STEAMER TRUNK, 19th century, the exterior in gray canvas, stencilled in black A.H.B./N.Y. and with remains of paper labels, the interior with retailer's label reading: OLDEST TRUNK HOUSE IN THE CITY/John Cattnach,/Trunk and bag manufacturer,/Importer of...Leather Goods,/736 Broadway/NEAR ASTOR PLACE NEW YORK, "

http://theprince.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/princeton?a=d&d=Princetonian18911028-01.2.14.3&cl=CL2.1891.10&srpos=0&dliv=none&st=1&e=-------en-Logical-50--1-byDA-on--summer-ILLUSTRATION---

October 1891

ESTABLISHED 183 S. JOHN CATTNACH, MANUFACTURER OF TRUNKS, TRAVELLING BAGS, ETC., And Importer of Leather Goods. 736 BROADWAY, NEW YORK. This well-known and reliable house has now entered upon the fifty-eventti yearof its existence witli increased facilities,and ihe largest and best assortment of goods m this country, consisting of SOLE LEATHER TRUNKS AND PORTMAFNTEAUS, SEALSKIN AND ALLIGATOR BAGS, POCKET BOOKS, Etc.

;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:15:51 pm »
From what  I can see,, I don`t think it is a reproduction.  All looks correct !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:10:06 pm »
I agree, there isn't enough value to put the work into faking the age on a sticker. Looks all authentic to me too!! Neat trunk with loads of history!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 11:43:48 pm »
I agree, the value is in the history! I imagine someone going away on holiday and carrying it into "Stateroom I" on that White Star Line ship. If only that trunk could talk and tell us where it's been. Without the stickers, in my area it would sell for about $25-$30. With the stickers, maybe $50-$60. Looks late 1800's to very early 1900's.Cool find! I love trunks. :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:45:46 pm by hosman321 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:59:59 pm »
I agree, trunks are neat and I think they are the way that a lot of people get started collecting antiques. They are not too expensive, you can easily tell an original from a reproduction and they just oooooze history!

I'd be willing to bet that just about everyone on this forum has a trunk... show of hands?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 02:14:07 am »
Two hands and 1 foot for me!

tmerrifield

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 03:42:29 am »
Nice trunk.  the stickers really add to the interest

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:23:13 am »
The White Star Line sticker is very cool....  Doesn't look like it was on the Titanic but still cool!  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey