Author Topic: Iron Pie Lifter May also be Warmer or Cooler? Need Patent Help  (Read 10042 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Iron Pie Lifter May also be Warmer or Cooler? Need Patent Help
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 08:03:43 am »
Its a good thing I didn`t live back then !! I still can`t get my mind around how the thing works !!  If it spreads to allow a pie in the middle what secures the end opposite the handle (hinge) ?? 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 10:52:32 am »
It doesn't look like it locks over the object, but the person is expected to hang onto the handles and hold them together, like when you are lifting a hot pie out of the oven. The cuved arms would only work with round things, but I think those hooks might work for square pans. I think of it as an iron pot holder that essentially works like two mits. I also wonder how long it takes before the iron gets too hot to handle. I'm guessing since this is just to transfer a hot object from point A to point B, it doesn't have time to heat up.

I will provide a full report with pictures on how it works when it arrives. This is turning out to be an interesting science experiment! :D

One thing I learned, it is a heck of a lot easier to use Google Patent Search than it is to go through the government site.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:00:51 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »
When you get it try standing it on the hook end and see if it would work as a toaster for a fireplace ??  Stand the bread in the hooks !!  Couldnt tell from the pic if it would stand on end.  Just curious  !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 01:57:19 pm »
Will a rubbing help detail the words better?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 06:55:43 pm »
Tales said...
One thing I learned, it is a heck of a lot easier to use Google Patent Search than it is to go through the government site.
Yes, but Google has changed some stuff on their basic patent search within the last month or last 2 weeks. I used to be able to sort by earliest date and I no longer see that option. I now go into advanced search to do my searches and forget about the basic search unless I know the number.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2011, 08:02:39 pm »
To find this lifter tool, I typed in May 18 1875 and then looked through the headings, looking for anything that sounded like it could be this object, since nothing came up when I typed in the word pie with that date. It took me a few minutes, but I found it. If you type in the date into the general search window and it brings up everything. with that patent date in the text.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2011, 08:08:24 pm »
Glad you found it. 

I have had fun looking through patents and actually found the likes of a few "what is it" similarities we have seen over the years!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2011, 11:31:00 pm »
If you type in the date into the general search window and it brings up everything. with that patent date in the text.
Yes, I realize that, but they are not chronological by issued date. When I could sort by earliest date, the patents were in order from earliest to latest. It also brings up the filing date which I usually never want. What is really funny is since these are scanned patents, some of the words make no sense because the scan tool used cannot pick up on poor original copy so sometimes the heading is pure gibberish.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2011, 11:53:52 pm »
I run into that garbled text all the time trying to search scanned newspapers for genealogical research. I just found the gov't site had their own way that you had to enter the search query rather than using standard Boolean search queries. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to search their site.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 10:44:45 am »
The kitchen lifting tool arrived today and I just experimented with lifting several objects in my office. It works surprisingly well, even on a smooth, straight-sided object like a CD-ROM canister. It is lighter weight than I thought it would be, which makes it much more feasible for its intended purpose than I imagined it would be.

The date is worn but still legible. I can easily see how the seller mixed up May 18 with May 10 as the number 8 is worn smooth.
It says "PAT'D MAY" on one piece of the lifter and "18 1875." on the other.

I figured out the use for the long tip on the hinge of the lifter. When you used as a stove lid lifter, this rests agaist the underside of the hand and leverages the weight of the stove lid. I'll post photos so that you can see this. It happens quite naturally when you turn it around and grip it and its purpose became immediately obvious to me.

I will post some photos shortly of the lifter in action shortly. It is better and more useful than I imagined it could be. It's looks are rather deceptive and it really does its job of gripping and lifting surprisingly well. The trick is in the straight bars on top. When the top of a cylindrical slippery object (like a ceramic coffee cup full of stuff) contact the straight bars over the top of it, it stabilizes the whole thing and grips really well. Quite a clever application of physics. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 01:35:16 pm »
Glad its working well !!  Sure didn`t look like it would !!  I am pleasantly surprised !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 03:40:12 pm »
I had to do this with one hand while holding the camera with the other, but you get the idea. It's got a solid grip on the CD canister.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 03:42:38 pm »
In stove lid lifter mode. Note the position of the tip against the bottom of my hand for leverage:

waywardangler

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 08:25:47 pm »
It is much smaller than I imagined.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 12:10:02 am »
It is much smaller than I imagined.

Ditto! I was imagining having to handle something the size of garden shears ( a small pair)