Author Topic: Help me value a Singer sewing Machine  (Read 5070 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Help me value a Singer sewing Machine
« on: May 19, 2011, 05:31:47 pm »
So, I'm a part-time real estate agent, and I'm listing a house where the owners died, and the heirs don't want much to do with what remains.  I was thinking of making an offer on this Singer sewing machine.  The strap that connects the foot pedal to the sewing machine is broken (easily replaced, I guess), but otherwise it appears to function.

What should I offer for it?  Any ideas? 

There are also two interesting chairs I might post later. 

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Help me value a Singer sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »
Maximum of $80 in my area (Seattle), more realistically about $60.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »
Yes, you can pick up the belts on Ebay for just a couple of bucks. I can even send you one of mine if you have trouble finding one. Treadle machines are a joy to sew on. I love mine and will never go back to a modern one again. It is a wonderfully reliable workhorse. I can't say enough how great these old machines are. They truly are an undiscovered treasure. You can also find out what needles it uses and other through the ISMACS forum. In my area I'm seeing more of these that are functional, and the prices can be about $200 if in good, working condition, (not just moving up and down)

http://www.ismacs.net/home.html

Look inside the bobbin compartment. You should see a bullet-shaped casing. This is what holds the bobbin. The bobbins do not look like modern ones they are spindle bobbins:

Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:44:24 pm »
On the one hand, the top looks like it's seen better days.  OTOH...  It's a pretty, pretty machine  ;D  Is the bobbin cover missing?  I'd make sure that could be found. My Gma taught me (and probably all the cousins) to sew on one so I have a real soft spot.  Keeping in mind that estate sales people take about 50% in my area, I'd keep my offer around $75ish but I really have no idea what these go for.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »
A common machine, I see them all the time at sales. It probably needs to be totally gone through, oiled, cleaned, etc. I agree with hosman on the price. In fact, I would not exceed $50. However, if the owners want to get this all cleaned up, lubricated, and replace any missing parts/belts, then I would go up to $200 just to save the elbow grease.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:31:00 am »
A refinishing to Golden Oak makes for a beautiful decorator piece even if you don't use it to sew on.

I had to refurbish one 20 or so years ago for the wife's 70+ years old mother because she complained that the electric portable the wife gave her was "running away with her" when she tried to sew with it.

I will post a picture of it if anyone is interested.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:31:27 pm »
Thanks, everyone!  I will go back and look closer at the bobbin holder and other things.  I'll also take pics of the interesting chairs.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:38:51 am »
We have an old Treadle Singer, which was still working beautifully up until about 5 - 6 years ago. My wife found it better than her electric machine for some jobs (not sure which) ...  will need to take some photos of it, but I do know that the top has suffered some water damage as there was a large, grit-filled plastic tray, atop it, with part of my wife's orchid collection, but the tray had cracked and water was slowly seeping out  :-X
When I photograph it, I might just be up for some advice!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:19:43 am »
Those old Singers will sew things that todays machines can`t even touch !!  One word of caution,, when the treadle is going it has no brake so don`t expect it to stop immediatly when you take your foot off !!  Found that out when I was about eight and sewed my finger to the machine !!   Worth about $150.to $200. here in good condition.  Quilters love these old machines !!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:53:36 pm by mart »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 10:02:38 am »
Not taken a photo yet, but checked the serial number of ours ... F1536458

which I think makes it 1911 ........ HAPPY 100th Birthday! A genuine antique!  ;D

I have noticed that the belt is broken, but hopefully Tales is right about being able to get them on Ebay

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 11:17:10 am »
I would LOVE to see some pics of everyone's machines. There are plenty of treadle belts on Ebay, I got 168 results searching for- treadle sewing belt.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=treadle+sewing+belt&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Here is mine. It is a 1919 New Home Sewing Machine Co "Climax D" model. The Climax series were regarded as one of their better machines, and I absolutely love this one. It is the most reliable, tough little ol' gal and gives me no trouble at all. Love everything about it, right down to the clickety-clack it makes when we are treadling away on a project. I can't say enough wonderful things about treadle machines.

I paid $60 for mine, it was fully functional when I bought it, and the lady I bought it from spent an hour showing me how to sew with it. Worth every penny. After sewing on mine at the reenactment in Old Sacramento, my sister-in-law went out and bought one!

Here is how it looks in my little dining room, under the 1830 sampler on the wall:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:19:57 am by talesofthesevenseas »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 11:27:28 am »
Here's all the treadle machines on Craigslist in my area as of this morning. Asking prices are ranging from $30 to $450

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=1&subAreaID=&query=treadle+sewing&catAbb=sss

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »
Here's our machine, Tales, but apparently I've been fibbing. The machine my wife used, she gave to a friend who was just taking up sewing. The machine we have now was then given to us by our neighbours about 5 years back!!!  It apparently belonged to the a mother who had died. It is apparently in good working order and just needs an oil and good clean.
But you can see from the pic of the table top that it is in dire need of some TLC! Any ideas?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 01:53:06 pm »
Beautiful machine! Let's get this baby going!!  :D

These are solid oak cabinets so you should be able to refinish it easily. I think in your case refinishing would be a benefit rather than taking away from the value. (just my two cents worth!)

It looks like your machine takes a modern round bobbin (fabric store has them) rather than having a shuttle (the bullet shaped item above).

You are missing the plate that goes over the bobbin compartment, but you might be able to at least get the machine working without it. I would join the ISMACS forum http://www.ismacs.net/ and they can help you locate a replacement plate. They are really good.

You also need a belt (ebay)

You can get sewing machine oil at any fabric store. Put a few drops on all the parts that turn and have metal on metal, then move them gently to let the oil spread around.

Be sure when you are ready to test drive it that you are on solid flooring and not carpet as it will interfere with the treadle motion.

There are two tricks to sewing on a treadle:

#1: You want the large belt wheel on the right side of the machine to spin TOWARD YOU. You can give it a little help with your hand

#2: These machines work on the principal of centrifugal force. They practically treadle themselves and all you are going to do with the foot treadle is to keep the motion going with a very gentle movement of your toes. I found that children catch onto treadling quicker than adults, because they "listen" to what the machine is telling them. Adults want to take control and drive it like a car, when what you need to do is to let the machine do all the work for you. You'll catch on real quick. They truly are magnificent machines in their simplicity.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 02:36:57 pm »
Thanks Tales ...... Looks like another project to add to the list!  I'll post pics when it's done ...  ::)