Author Topic: Question about a Vintage Marx Merry Maker I'm selling for someone.  (Read 6156 times)

dan213

• View Profile
I'm selling a vintage marx merry maker for someone (going to list it on eBay Sunday night) and just want to be sure I know what I have here.

I took a picture of it...

I found one of eBay that looked just like it that was called "Vintage Marx Merry Makers-B316". Is this a B316? Are there different version of these or was just 1 set released? Anyone know what year it is? I could take more pictures of it if needed. I didn't see a date on the back of it when I looked.

I'm trying to do research on google but I know NOTHING about antiques so I just want to be sure I'm not mislabeling this.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks.

-Dan

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about a Vintage Marx Merry Maker I'm selling for someone.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:57:01 pm »
Welcome to the forum dan213. Just did a quick search and came up with this.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130519798294+,130519798294&si=wz9djGqQx7Rs4WujzXw3f%252F2fhTQ%253D&viewitem=&clk_rvr_id=233895480948#ht_2620wt_1130

Just sold on ebay on the 18th for $710 (22 bids).  Check out their description, especially patent numbers......these might help out with your questions.

Will take another boo around to see what else pops up  ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:01:08 pm »
Apparently there are three versions (still looking  ;) )

http://www.ewolfs.com/past_auctions/sept_toys/89.html

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:05:27 pm »
From the site of Marx Toy Museum...........

http://www.marxtoymuseum.com/wind-ups.htm

"One of the most recognized and appreciated of the Marx windups is the Marx MerryMakers!

Originally produced in 1931 and selling for 91 cents, the Merry Makers is a Four Mouse Band surrounding an upright piano.  One mouse rocks back and forth while playing the piano, the other beats a drum, and a third dances beside the piano.  The fourth mouse came in two variations: conducting the band with a baton or playing the violin.  Another variation to this set was presence or absence of the Marx Merry Makers marquee.

The most desirable version is shown in the photos which has the mouse playing the violin and the marquee backdrop."

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:25:36 pm »
Someone familiar with auction terms could likely clarify the heading Lot Passed........no bids perhaps??

Don't know if the $$ amounts will show up when you link to this as I am signed in to it and can see.....

Estimate $1,600 -  $2,500

Starting bid $750

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7901046

The three links I'v come up with show the label/plate on the back with patent numbers, which might help you match yours up and give you a starting place for your listing.

Hope these were of some use!  Cheers!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:02:56 pm »
Is your violin guy missing his violin? If so, that will have a fairly significant impact on value. But it's such an awesome item, I'm sure it will still bring a good amount.

dan213

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:05:15 pm »
Someone familiar with auction terms could likely clarify the heading Lot Passed........no bids perhaps??

Don't know if the $$ amounts will show up when you link to this as I am signed in to it and can see.....

Estimate $1,600 -  $2,500

Starting bid $750

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7901046

The three links I'v come up with show the label/plate on the back with patent numbers, which might help you match yours up and give you a starting place for your listing.

Hope these were of some use!  Cheers!

This is the one i have. The numbers on the back match up and the top mouse doesn't have the violin.

It looks like the B316 version is the one with the violin.

Thank you so much for the help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

dan213

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:06:48 pm »
Is your violin guy missing his violin? If so, that will have a fairly significant impact on value. But it's such an awesome item, I'm sure it will still bring a good amount.

I think there are 2 different versions. The one in the eBay link (B316) has the violin. The one in the liveauctioneer link doesn't have the violin.

Not positive but that's what it looks like.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 12:22:51 am »
"Lot passed" means there was no interest at the opening "starting bid of $750" which was probably the lowest the consignor was willing to take. A "passed" item is not good. Too many "passed" items and the whole auction starts to look like it was overpriced.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 04:11:56 am »
This one is noted as 'violinist version' (just noticed a couple more below the link I posted)

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9212786

I'm thinking the 'passed' one is missing it's violin .

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:15:38 am by sapphire »

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:07:05 am »
Sapphire, this auction is still going on. Lot 1408 is the conductor version which is the version dan213 has, I think. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9212785  Opening bid is $300 also so I would think this should not sell below that price on eBay but who knows. I am not sure what the demand is currently or the market value now. I do not know much about toys because there are too many and I would have a tendency to play with them rather than stare at them.

Lot 1408 and 1409 do not have the Marx Merry Makers marquee on the top of the piano. Not sure if the marquee is earlier or later but I would think it would be more desirable?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:11:40 am by waywardangler »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 11:02:47 am »
I do not know much about toys because there are too many and I would have a tendency to play with them rather than stare at them.

How I can relate to that .. If I'd have just stared at all the toys that I had as a nipper, including all the 'hand-me-downs', then I could have retired by now!    ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:10:07 am »
Agree with wayward.  Set your low limit to sell.  If it doesn't sell....wait a while and relist unless you absolutely have to have the $$$.  Believe me, the right person will come along and pay $$$.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dan213

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 09:43:25 pm »
I started it at $.99 on Sunday and it's at $510 right now (doesn't end til Sunday) so we're happy. She said she wanted it to go for at least $500 and I'm getting 10% so I'm happy too.

Obviously hoping for $600-$700 but I'm happy so far.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 07:14:10 am »
Nice Dan - Let us know how it ends.  It can only get better!  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey