Author Topic: Silver (plate) hoarde from estate sale  (Read 2349 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Silver (plate) hoarde from estate sale
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:42:41 am »
So, I picked up a box of silver plate for $30.  Think I can get that back after I polish the pieces?  Do you see anything of particular interest in this pile?

Also in the box were seven Lenox.....whatevers?  I have no idea what they are.  Big egg cups?  Handle-less espresso cups? Any ideas?

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Silver (plate) hoarde from estate sale
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:11:40 pm »
Espresso cups without handles? I'd be OK with my asbestos fingers!  :D

No real idea about any of the pieces, can't see them too clearly,but you can't really lose in my opinion

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:22:18 pm »
Are you talking about the items upper left in the first pic ??  Look like shot glasses !!  The 4 silver items on the left look like upside down candle holders !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 02:53:38 pm »
Dessert cups?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:06:19 pm »
Well, here are the items, all prettied up (but I ran out of silver polish before I could finish, so some pieces aren't perfect).

These are just short of 2.5" high, with a 3" diameter bowl.  What on earth is it?  They are marked inside the bottom of the bowl "Oneida Silversmiths".

Coffee set, marked WR (William Rogers?), with "Quadrupled" arched above the initials, and "New York below.  Maltese cross at left, and keystone at right.   Numbers "912" below "New York".  Each piece also has a hand-scratched set of numbers -- 3-62-1271.  Coffee pot is 7.5" high, Creamer and Sugar about 3.75" high.  The creamer has a dent, and the silver has flaked off along a perimeter approximately half the perimeter of a quarter.

I'm pretty sure the knife and fork are stainless, although they have no markings anywhere.  The ladle is marked "GEBRHEPP90" and the number ten in a circle, plus "Hotel Porta Nigra".

The tray without the handles is marked "Silver on Copper", and is 12.25" long and 9.25" wide.  The one with handles is unmarked, and is 12" long and just short of 8" wide.

Marked "Wm Rogers" between a star and what looks like an eagle, with numbers 272 below.  About 15" diameter.

Covered bowl, ran out of polish before I could do the bottom, and so far I can't see any markings.  Bowl is 10.5" diameter, and about 6" high with lid.  Edge design matches the 15" diameter tray above.

Butter dish, heavily used, so the bottom interior is nearly stripped of silver, down to the copper.  About 7.5" long and 4 1/8" wide, surmounted by....well, I'm not sure.  It looks a bit suggestive, actually -- a pickle swathed in plantain leaves.  Maybe it is meant to be a squash in squash leaves?

Pierced basket, marked "Standard's Co, of Toronto Limited, Canada, E.P.N.S, 105/11".  11.5" long, 8" wide, 3" high to basket (9" with handle raised).

Pair of trays with grape vine and grape cluster motif along edges.  Marked "Federal Silver Company Silver on Copper".  Round one is 15" in diameter with 2.5" handles each side.  Rectangular one is 16.5" x 12.5" plus 2.5" handles.  Round tray has damage to plate, with missing silver.

What do you all think the values might be? -- and are there any secret treasures here?  Or, as is more likely, will I be lucky to get back my $30?  HA HA!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:11:19 pm by CuriousCollector »

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:09:04 pm »
The Lenox pieces are 2" high and a hair over 2.5" in diameter at the top (7/8" diameter at base).  They are definitely Lenox -- love that lightweight delicate feeling!.  A few have the edge of a pattern name -- the base is just too tiny to hold it.  Unfortunately, it's nothing more than a line, so I can't guess what pattern it is.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 05:24:32 pm »
Don't know a thing about the value ( fairly sure you'll recoup your $30 plus some), but I've got a rope twist serving tray to match your two pieces and a couple of grape trimmed ones that go with your smaller tray  ;)

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 06:50:31 pm »
I am guessing the Lenox cups may be for sake but I really do not know for sure.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:01:51 pm »
My first though was that the cups were custard cups!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 07:49:12 am »
In the first pic after cleaning, is the mark inside the 3 in. bowl ?? If so they are upside down, and are like I think,, candle holders !!  As far as I have ever heard or seen, they do not put a silver mark inside the part that holds food. It usually is on the bottom !!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:56:40 am »
It is indeed!  HA HA!  I guess they are candle holders, then.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:02:51 am »
They would have been rather top heavy with even a small amount of food !! Try a standard candle and see if it doesn`t fit !!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 10:08:26 am »
I am laughing at how dopey I was, not realizing they were candle holders -- and yes, a standard taper will fit.  HA HA!  Thanks!