Author Topic: help with info on this picture......  (Read 2550 times)

kysfinest

• View Profile
help with info on this picture......
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:09:56 am »
I purchased a picture at an estate auction the other day. In searching for info on it i found this one on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-M-DITLEF-SONG-LOVE-PRINT-W-WOODEN-FRAME-SIGNED-/230548454130

my question is.....the seller says their picture is "signed". Because I do not know anything much about antiques, signatures etc...can anyone tell me if the "signature" in the right corner is what they are referring to?
I will post pics of my picture today (it is at my mom's and I have to go there to take the pics) The one I bought looks to be in the original frame and does have the signature on the bottom right corner.

waywardangler

Re: help with info on this picture......
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:27:56 am »
Yes, but signed may mean a printed on signature because this is a print. A print may also be actually signed by the artist but that should be noted in the description.

A print is a copy from the original painting. If the original painting was signed by the artist, that signature will show up in the print.  What needs to be determined is, is the artist's signature in the print or on the print?  If it is in the print, no additional value would be attributed. If on the print, then the artist has actually written his/her signature after the print was made. This may or may not add value to the print.

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:51:50 am »
Thank you wayward. Would you know if this seller is asking a reasonable price for this pic?  I've found a few others that are selling for around the same on other websites. If so...then I done REALLY well when i purchased this pic lol

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:58:40 am »
I have no clue as to price. It has been on there as a BIN since May 5 or so, so I do not think it is a bargain or a buyer hasn't found it that has $400 to spend on it. Asking prices are one thing, but selling prices may be totally different.

I buy art that I like to look at with price a secondary consideration (within my spending limits of course). If I do not like to look at it, I pass. If it is hanging on my wall and I hate it, I am not enjoying art. I personally like folk art and my tastes are not what the majority of buyers look for. Good for me when buying but bad for me when selling.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:12:32 am »
I would say its overpriced !! There are a few too many listings for that print on the net for me to think it would bring that !!  The seller also seems to be counting the frame as a selling point. If it were me I would watch that listing and see what it actually sells for,, if at all !!

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:28:59 am »
I agree with mart and that frame is not a "hand carved wooden frame" as the buyer claims.

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:56:40 pm »
Finally got the pictures to show you guys. My only other question would be...Should I leave it in the frame to sale it or remove the print?

Sorry i'm so full of question but I really know nothing about antiques :(  I am however,  learning SO much from this site and I really enjoy it :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »
Leave it in the frame !!  It looks good in it !!  If you are going to sell it on ebay, make sure you have a good shipping box !!   Only thing I have ever had broken and ruined was a framed antique print.  Post office broke the glass and ripped the print !!  Had to refund that one !!

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 07:52:38 pm »
Thanks Mart!! I bought the picture for my mother who has given piano lessons since she was 16yrs old but turns out she didn't like it lol...oh well...still not a bad investment! (pretty sure i can get my $15 back out of it  ;) )

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:43:58 pm »
LOL  No doubt you can get your money back !!