Author Topic: Old Family China Hutch  (Read 7031 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Old Family China Hutch
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:43 pm »
I just got an email from a cousin, that several pieces of antique family furniture that belonged to my great-great-grandparents are being sold and was I interested in any of it? You can guess what my answer to that was!

I have said that I would like to buy the china hutch pictured below. It was in my great-great-grandparents home in Oak Park IL and family lore is that it came from Germany in the 1850's. It is the original hutch that all my blue and white china would have been kept in. (I think it looks a little later than 1850's, but it is hard to tell from this one photo.) This is all the info I have at this time, but it looks like a beauty in incredible condition and I'm willing to shell out the bucks to keep it in the family. I have no idea what it is going to cost me, and shipping is going to be horrendous, I can't afford it whatever it is, but I'll sell a bunch of stock and go for it. Whatever it takes to keep it in the family.  I thought you all would like to follow along on my latest plunge. I am totally excited, she said she didn't think any of her own children would want it. Fingers crossed, holding my breath!

I could use some advice on shipping. When I looked into it last, shipping via Greyhound bus and picking it up at a hub site was a good way to go. I have a truck and can do that. 

If you can tell anything from this photo about what a reasonable price range for a hutch like this would be, that might be helpful just in case the cousins who have it have expectations that are beyond fair market value.

I sure wish I could see those carvings on the upper columns- Ladies? Gargoyles? Or just fancy carved frills?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Re: Old Family China Hutch
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:44:06 pm »
Hey, I used to live in Oak park... Actually, that is where I lived when I registered antique-shop.com in 1996. (interesting story... antiqueshop.com (no hyphen) was registered just weeks before by a woman in chicago.. for a while we had links to each others sites on our own sites, but I digress)

Here is the question.. do you have any old pictures with the furniture in it!?? That is so fun when you can see the furniture being used, but a bunch of years ago, in a different time.. It makes ownership that much more pleasureable for some reason.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:44 pm »
I do not know much about furniture but the base style looks more recent to me. I would have thought that something from the 1850s would have feet or more style to the base. Tales, is this really 1850s?

I would buy it also to keep it in the family. As to price, I have no clue but I would hope your relatives do not hold you up.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:19:25 pm »
I would bet its later than that !!  Need to see that hardware !! Style does not look 1850`s at all !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:25:49 pm »
Yes, it looks later to me also. I'm thinking more late 1800's. It's easy for things to be improperly dated in a family, so I won't be surprised if that is the case with this hutch. At this point this is all the info and photos I have.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:35:32 pm »
I am thinking even later than that !!  Can they take more pics for you !!  Maybe drawer construction and hardware??  It looks like drawers on the bottom !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 01:38:19 pm »
I will ask for more photos, first I'm asking for the price. This is the house it came from in Oak Park IL.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:51:17 pm »
These ornamental pieces really have me curious. The basic form of the hutch looks almost modern, but then there are these on the top. Looks like a female form maybe?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:41:45 pm »
Those handles near the bottom look like those "fruit" handles that were popular from around 1860-1880's. It's beautiful!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 05:06:45 pm »
Forget the hutch.... I WANT THE HOUSE!!!!  hehehehe Bet there are a lot more neighbors these days  ;D

It is very nice and if you can swing it, you'll never be sorry with that history.  For sure you know it's not 1960's Ethan Allan  ;)  Maybe they can send you some really good pics of the sides? Your going to want lots of pics anyway (prior to shipping) so you can verify you receive it in the same condition.

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:18:15 pm »
nice house!!
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?encType=1&where1=308+S+Grove+Ave%2c+Oak+Park%2c+IL+60302-3502&cp=41.883146~-87.795673&FORM=MIRE1

Unfortunately, I don't think its there any more.. :(

Sorry I'm not helpful with the furniture.. :)
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:58:35 pm »
Well, this was a short-lived pipe dream. The cousin wants bids beginning at $7,250. I don't know if he is basing this on insurance value, retail value or if he has even had an appraisal, but I'm not seeing that kind of value or age in the photo,  and will have to pass on it, even for the sake of keeping it in the family. I declined but said that I would like to talk if the sale does not pan out the way he hopes.

Dontbe, yes that is what I recall, that the house is no longer there. Unfortunate isn't it? It was a beauty.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:17:02 pm »
Cool! I'll have to look from home, my work computer is behind a firewall and I can't upload the Google updates. Thanks!

smile4katie

• My living Antique :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »
Wait til you see it it is almost exactly the same! I couldn't resist I LOVE old homes :)