Author Topic: New member with some questions on newspapers  (Read 846 times)

Cincykid

• View Profile
New member with some questions on newspapers
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:48:00 am »
Hello everyone, several years back I was lucky enough to come upon some news papers. One was from the day president Lincoln was assassinated the other from JFK's assassination(kind of morbid I know). Until recently I've had no place to properly display them so they have been kept in the dark, dry area of my at the moment current house. With moving though I was considering bringing them back out to have them on display.
So my questions to you are how detrimental are floursent lights going to be on the print, I'm unsure of the worth of the two but they are pieces of history that I find rather interesting and would rather keep them in the good legible condition that they are in than ruin them in my den. 

Thank you all in advance, CRR

waywardangler

Re: New member with some questions on newspapers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:00:36 am »
If you are going to display them, you will need a UV cover on any electric lights including fluorescent and  UV filter glass in the display case. UV will rapidly deteriorate the already poor quality that newspaper is printed on. Newsprint is highly acidic and sealing it (as in laminating it) will hasten its yellowing and brittleness.

I would check with some archival outfits (such as Light Impressions) to see what they recommend for displaying newspapers. Keeping it out of light is probably the best for them. I am not sure of the Lincoln paper but I would guess the JFK one has minimal value because so many people saved those issues.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: New member with some questions on newspapers
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:48:26 am »
Another questions is are they originals?  Growing up we went on vacation/holiday and went to historical places.  They sold "reprints" of papers about Lincoln and Kennedy!  Different papers age/wear differently as well.  Post a pic of them?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!