Author Topic: Ornaments  (Read 1618 times)

smile4katie

• My living Antique :)
    • View Profile
Ornaments
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:49:55 am »
So I don't think they are worth much so I don't really care about that part, more curious of history and age. I know NOTHING about ornaments I have 4 kids so I use plastic!

No marks, I have two boxes and they all have that same caps.

One side indent, small neck no mark

Marked "West Germany", small neck

Double indent marked "Made in U S of A"

"Poland" single side

All marked "Shiny Bright"

Another Shiny Bright but larger shown here for size

Mark "Made in U S of A"

And just to show off my fav attic find, Lighted Ice GE bulbs :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Ornaments
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:52:41 am »
These look 50's -60's to me, but check them against this Web site for ornament collectors: http://www.vintagexmas.com/
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:25:47 am »
Apart from the first and last pics, the rest look 1970s and we still have many in very similar styles.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:17:12 pm »
I believe you have a time span....60's to 70's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:24:40 pm »
1st through 6th could have come off my family Christmas tree. In fact I'm pretty sure a few are the exact same.  That would date them to possibly late 50's, definitely early 60's.  Not too many have survived all the grandchildren's hands.(or my thumb through the beautiful concave section  :P)

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 06:59:35 pm »
Yes, I agree with the 50s and 60s. My parents had many of the same ones when I was growing up (I was born in '51). I think the ice bulbs may be the most recent ones and probably from the later part of the 60s.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:20:53 am »
The general opinion seems to be that they can date from 50s - 60s, so they were probably made in that style over of a couple of decades. But I will stick to my guns that they could easily be as late as 1970 - 1975. That was when I first set up my own home and when I would have bought my first tree decorations, and to quote Sapphire, some are the exact same ... but could have been old stock!  ;D

If you'd posted a few months earlier we could have photographed our trees  ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:19:18 am »
Going back and taking a closer look I have to agree with mario.  I wasn't taking into consideration the size and realized that these are smaller than the 'old' ones. Made in the same style but scaled down to maybe 1/2 or 1/3........hubby pointed out they are like the  ones we picked up as our 'first' ornaments, brand new, at the army navy store.......in 1972.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:39:37 am »
I'm sure ours were bought in Woolworths store, now only a distant memory over here in the UK  :(

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 08:34:03 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiny_Brite_ornaments
The demand for glass ornaments waned as plastic ornaments became more popular, ultimately bringing the Shiny-Brite company to close its doors in 1962.

Shiny-Brite's most popular ornaments have been reissued by Christopher Radko since 2001.

The Shiny Brites date to pre-1962 at least as these are not the new reissues. I would also assume the other ornaments to be of the same age. I had miniature (1" dia.) plain color glass tree ornaments for a small tree in 1957 and have seen different sizes of ornaments throughout the 50s and 60s so I do not think you can date ornaments by size. JMO.