Author Topic: Can anyone identify this ...thing?  (Read 1170 times)

mari

• View Profile
Can anyone identify this ...thing?
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:53:34 pm »
Hello, does anyone to have any idea what this is? Its made of wood, the lid comes off, it has a chain and the whole thing is decorated with some type of carved or punched metal with turquoise colored stones in it. 

Thanks so much in advance, its driving me crazy!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Can anyone identify this ...thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:03:22 pm »
Welcome  Mari, What is the size of the Barrel, or Jar  and are there any markings.   Looks like Folk Art from India or maybe the middle east, My Guess would be a Export or Tourist item, My best Guess would be Mid Century.  However without closer inspection it would be hard to date, maybe close up pics of the hardware, around the rim and the bottom will help.  Once again welcome to the Forum, and thanks for posting.

mari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:23:29 pm »
Thanks for your response! Here are a few more pictures. Bad quality due to cell phone though!
There are no markings and it looks like the decorative parts are held by some mud like substance and a few rough small nails. Oh and its about 8 or 9 inches tall

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:58:22 am »
Since it is wood I would guess its for tobacco or something similar !!  Does look middle eastern from what I can see !!