Author Topic: Is this an antique?  (Read 1242 times)

Collegestudent

• View Profile
Is this an antique?
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:58:18 pm »
I have no idea. This is an old surveying instrument was my grandads he bought it used.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Is this an antique?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:52:23 am »
Looks like a theodolite to me... Can you post a clearer picture of the plaque. That should show the makers and even a patent number, and so should help age and even value it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:11:33 am »
Well,, my pic disappeared !! But your item appears to be a surveyers transit !! Used to establish correct property lines as well as in construction when shooting the grade for building foundations ect, !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:15:09 am »
agree with mariok54's comment and mart's.

The next question most likely will be is it of any value and the answer is yes!  1  Because it was your grandfathers  2   If it is in great working order and all parts are there....there will be someone who would like it if you don't care to keep it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:56:22 am »
Checked on a newer one recently and they are not cheap !! One I found was $750. used !! Older ones like this probably around $300. !!  We decided that eyeballing would do fine since we knew the marks and only needed a straight line for a fence !!