Author Topic: Religious Medals  (Read 1695 times)

erinkristina

• View Profile
Religious Medals
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:08:51 pm »
Hello Everyone,
I came across some religious medals a couple of years ago and just discovered them again in my recent move. They are very unique (to me atleast!). I have researched them and really haven't found anything on these exact medals. I also have a cross that opens. I have never seen anything like it. I just wanted to find out about them.

Last night I took some shots of them..if needed I can do individuals of the medals. Any info is greatly appreciated!

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Religious Medals
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:47:22 am »
Hi,

The crucifix looks like it is probably a  Reliquary, initially intended to hold the relics of a saint, or two. It is difficult to tell from the photos, but it might be that some of these medallions, and maybe the crucifix,  were picked up on a trip to Rome. One seems to be of St Peter's Basilica.
Age? Value? Not a clue, I'm afraid. Any markings at all suggesting what metal they are fashioned from?

erinkristina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:31:23 am »
Hi,

The crucifix looks like it is probably a  Reliquary, initially intended to hold the relics of a saint, or two. It is difficult to tell from the photos, but it might be that some of these medallions, and maybe the crucifix,  were picked up on a trip to Rome. One seems to be of St Peter's Basilica.
Age? Value? Not a clue, I'm afraid. Any markings at all suggesting what metal they are fashioned from?

Thanks for the bit of info. Do you by chance know of anyone that may know a bit more? Or another forum? The crucifix only has 8C..and its pretty tiny so I think thats what it says.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:30:22 am »
I take back what I said about the medal being from Rome ... I've just had a closer look at the picture and it is a medal showing St Anne de Beaupre Basilica, and although at the bottom it reads France ... I'm pretty sure that is the one in Canada.
What threw me in the direction of Rome was the smaller medal showing Pope Pius XII the Wartime Pope.
The other smaller one looks like it is of  the same Pope.
The larger centre one I can't make out the writing ... looks like S J Scotus, and the only Scotus that I've heard of is Scotus College in Scotland, a catholic Seminary, but the full inscription might tell a bit more.

Re Value, if the medals are of silver, then therein is where the value lies, and there won't be a great deal of weight there. If the Reliquary actually had some relics inside it (if that is what it is) then it would have some value, all depending upon whose relics they were. But nowadays the buying and selling of relics is quite tightly controlled, they're classed as human remains I think.

The 8C could possibly be 8 carat gold, a very low grade gold being 333 parts per thousand, or 1/3 gold. However, if it is a Reliquary, then there may be some value in that as an object.

Other than that, I can't help, I'm afraid.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:18:22 am by mariok54 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:06:32 am »
Sainte Anne's is in Quebec, Canada just outside of Quebec City.  Thousands make pilgrimages there each year to pray in hopes of healing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:01 am »
Of course, Sapphire, your neck of the woods! Ever been there? It looks quite impressive.

I've searched for  one in France, but drawn a blank .. so 'probably definitely' Quebec!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:09:16 pm »
Modern Catholic reliquaries usually contain tiny bits of this-and-that, depending on personal preference, or what particular form of devotion you follow.  My mother had one which contained a tiny bit of wood to symbolize the cross, a tiny water bottle (holy water), a bit of scripture on a scroll, and  piece of wax (don't know why the wax was there).  Which is to say, it's a reliquary, but it may not have held anything truly priceless, but just a bit of symbolism.