Author Topic: What is this? Some kind of coat of arms.. Help very much apprieciated!  (Read 6181 times)

dunng

• View Profile
   Ok im new to the site and any help here would be greatly apprieciated, I got this plaque or coat of arms in my fathers estate when he passed away a few years back he peddled alot of antiques and oddities and he has had this thing for as long as I can remember and ive found pictures of him with it from several years back he always thought it was "something" and personally i just want to know what it is, It seems to be made of a rubbery very dense almost like plaster and is fairly heavy really maybe 40-50 lbs im not sure of what it even says on it if anyone knows please share!! But if i could get an explanation of it and even if it is worth anything at all?? Thanks for looking everyone :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Believe this might help you a bit.....The Lion and the Unicorn are the symbol of the United Kingdom.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Unicorn

In the upper left (first) and bottom right (fourth) quarters are the 3 lions of England.  In the second quarter (top right) is the Lion of Scotland....but the 3rd quarter is different.....it typically contians a harp of Ireland.....so am not sure on this except that this is a decorative symbol on a decorative piece!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:24:54 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dunng

• View Profile
Believe this might help you a bit.....The Lion and the Unicorn are the symbol of the United Kingdom.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Unicorn

In the upper left (first) and bottom right (fourth) quarters are the 3 lions of England.  In the second quarter (top right) is the Lion of Scotland....but the 3rd quarter is different.....it typically contians a harp of Ireland.....so am not sure on this except that this is a decorative symbol on a decorative piece!

Thank you i checked it out although their info seems to be limited it def. is a strange piece that im not accustomed to

mart

• View Profile
Mario could probably point you in the right direction on this !!!  He is pretty regular here !!

mariok54

• View Profile
Hi and welcome... can you post some more pics. One of the entire piece that can be zoomed in to make out detail and all the script, and then one of the rear?

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
The last section is the fleur de lis, the symbol of France, and often appears on British coats of arms to emphasize the desire to control France -- although, the few times Britain HAS controlled France, it represents that actual control.

The motto appears to be similar to that used by the Order of the Garter, meaning "Shame to him to thinks ill of it." -- but much of the language appears to be missing.  It would read honi soit qui mal y pense"

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:53:40 pm by CuriousCollector »

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
The lack of an Irish quarter means either this is a pre-Union symbol (pre-1603), or a bit of modern Irish wish fulfillment. 

mart

• View Profile
Does it appear to have been attached to something at one time ??  The size would make it rather difficult to use as a decorative piece. Perhaps it hung over an entryway !!

dunng

• View Profile
Here are the better pics..

Like I said before im not sure what its made out of its pretty heavy it has to be apx. 50lbs..

dunng

• View Profile
I'm really just curious if its worth having appraised or if its a reproduction or something.. I really have no use for it and im not sure I want to hang this heavy thing on my wall anyways lol

mariok54

• View Profile
It certainly looks as it it would have hung above an entry or doorway. The all important bit to be able to identify this is the lettering, and I still can't make it out ... could you transcribe it?

At 50lbs it wouldn't have been a prop, and it seems to have some age to it.

smile4katie

• My living Antique :)
    • View Profile
I am curious to know whether this is metal or not, if you tap a spoon on the back side what does it sound like?
Does anyone else think that from the back this looks like molded metal??

If it is I would think that having it appraised would be a good way to go.

smile4katie

• My living Antique :)
    • View Profile
Words that I can tell which is the bottom center and next to it on right
soit qui y pese = "either which is weighed"

Redfrog42

• View Profile
I am curious to know whether this is metal or not, if you tap a spoon on the back side what does it sound like?
Does anyone else think that from the back this looks like molded metal??

If it is I would think that having it appraised would be a good way to go.

I was wondering that as well. It reminded me of molded pewter or maybe cast iron? If it was cast iron it would explain the weight.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Doesn't make sense if it is "rubber" unless it was a prop for a movie or a recent item!  (Oldest son is a movie animator with the "Big Boys" and the props out there are amazing!)

Now, if plaster....could still be a prop....or was on a high ledge/window ledge at an entry.  Could just be a display piece....

The blackened back is what makes me feel that otherwise it would have been finished all the way around.

Heighth?  Width?  Depth?

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!