Author Topic: What is this? Some kind of coat of arms.. Help very much apprieciated!  (Read 6180 times)

smile4katie

• My living Antique :)
    • View Profile
@ KC a rubbery substance should not weigh 50 lbs it makes me wonder if the word rubbery was used because it was maybe bent easily??? So maybe pewter, the texture on the back leads me to believe it is some type of metal

The translation that I gave previously is in French but it most likely is Latin and could very possibly be a Family Crest.

Research the Crown as it is not the same as the royal coat
The "Helm" is what looks to be a scroll and the symbol, these are above the crest
The "Crest" is exactly as the Royal coat except the Fluer de lis Yes it is a symbol of Scotland but it not situated correctly on the crest 
Then there is no "Compartment" which is usually a flower type thing that the Supporters (Lion and Unicorn) would rest on instead they are resting on the Motto ribbon.

With the thought of it being a Family Crest it would take a ton of work to put all of the Elements together to figure out who but I would first start by having the Latin translated which could easily be done at a local College. 

waywardangler

I would take a magnet to it and then I would scrape a knife point on an inconspicuous spot on the back.That should narrow down what material it is or isn't.

I do not think it is plaster as there would be many chips on the front. I do not think rubbery means easily bent as I have never heard anyone use that term to describe bendability. Lead strips are very bendable and I have never heard lead described as rubbery.  Rubbery used as an adjective to describe this was a poor choice of words IMO.

dunng

• View Profile
I was using rubbery as to the density of the material it doesnt seem to be metal it seems to be a very dense and heavy like maybe a plaster or stone type material almost but it appears to have been cast so im not sure?? It seems to be a strong material, it for sure isnt a metal.

waywardangler

I would guess resin if cast and if it is, then it is not that old.

mariok54

• View Profile
This is an odd piece. With that motto, the 3 lions passant x 2, and the lion rampant, it looks as if it is trying to be the Royal Coat of Arms.... but I can't find any reference to one with the fleur de lis instead of the harp. I'm stumped.

kysfinest

• View Profile
although this isn't the exact same item..it's close, maybe it will help in the search for the right thing :)

http://www.thecollectibleking.com/california/lion-unicorn-coat-of-arms-shield-bellflower_2012079.html

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
The Royal College of Arms might be able to help.

http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/

mariok54

• View Profile
although this isn't the exact same item..it's close, maybe it will help in the search for the right thing :)

http://www.thecollectibleking.com/california/lion-unicorn-coat-of-arms-shield-bellflower_2012079.html

You might be on to something there... I didn't imagine that they'd make plaster replicas for props, as plastic and even glass fibre has been around for so long, and they're more robust. A big lump of plaster that size would weigh quite a bit as well.

I'm not sure how helpful they'll be, but you can't lose anything from following Curious's link.

Mindings

• View Profile
The fleur de lis is somewhat unusual, but I understand was often used in Canada where French settlers were concerned. I would suggest some research in Canadian coats of arms.