Author Topic: Cabinet Card  (Read 1008 times)

Rgreen687

• View Profile
Cabinet Card
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:00:52 am »
So I found this Card in a bunch of pictures I'm Really trying to find a year that it was made and an estimate of price. I know it's sojourner Truth and lincoln its a picture of a of a painting that got lost in a fire I saw one by perry that was made in 1893 but this one has no perry name. It did come from battle creek Michigan all the stuff I got from the estate did any help would be great I think Im gonna post on ebay but I wanted to check the Date of it more then anything.

The Front says "President Lincoln Showing Sojourner Truth The bible Presented him by the colored people of Baltimore" Executive Mansion, Washington, D.C., Oct 29, 1864

The Back says "From The Original Painting By F.C. Courter. Copies maybe had from the owner Mrs. F.W. Titus, BAttle Creek Michigan
Twenty-Five Cents Each.

waywardangler

Re: Cabinet Card
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:27:02 am »
Here is a site to help in dating your card...http://genealogy.about.com/od/photo_dating/p/cabinet_card.htm

I do not know the value of your card but most desirable cabinet cards are actual photos of identified people or places. I would assume a cabinet card of a picture to be minimal and that many copies of this card were produced and are still available.

WOW! Here is a Perry card that sold for $1300 in Feb. of 2006.  Must be a rare card. It does have the blind stamp of Perry so maybe that lends some $$$$ to the card? It does says the photograph by Perry is the only record of the piece so I would assume any without Perry's stamp are reproductions and of lesser value.

Does your card have separate photograph glued onto the face of the cabinet card or was it printed on the face as is the printing at the bottom? If printed, it would be a reproduction. If an actual glued on photograph, it may be worth some serious money.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:56:08 am by waywardangler »