Author Topic: Chandelier...  (Read 2810 times)

Nai10

• View Profile
Chandelier...
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »
Now that I've introduced myself...I have a question.
I came across this chandelier and have fallen in love. The store owner tells me it's French from the 1920s. I have searched the internet high and low for days but have come up short - I can't find anything remotely similar.
Can anyone possibly confirm the owner's claim? Maybe give an approximate value?

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Chandelier...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:02:43 pm »
It looks French, and it could easily be 1920's even maybe a little earlier.
Value is very difficult to determine. I bought a very nice 5 arm french 1920's - 1930s  chandelier in wood and brass for c  $35 including shipping (cost  £25 altogether I think) .... we love it but nobody else seemed to .. you need to have the right home. It all depends upon the demand for an item, and how much you want it.
There are a lot of 1920s chandeliers out there with price tags up to the high $$$, and I've seen some very similar to ours with a tag of over $200, so you can always find a bargain.... and being so close, we do see a lot of French pieces over here.
Maybe someone else has a better idea of prices over there. I know you probably took the photo in the shop, but a clearer one would be useful.
Good luck
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:14:37 pm by mariok54 »

Nai10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:09:27 pm »
Thank you for answering! Unfortunately I don't have a better pic.
The asking price is...$1500 (yikes?!?). From your response, it would seem way too high, no?  :o

-Lisa

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »
Hi Lisa,
Sounds a lot to me, but it may be a particularly nice one, hard to tell from the photo. Although it does look quite impressive and as we might say over here, it's certainly a Bentley compared to our Hillman Hunter !  ;D

If you really do love it, then there's nothing stopping you going into the store and offering them a figure that you think is fair, say $700 ... what can you lose?

Just so that you know what I'm talking about .. and so we can't really compare it with the one you're after ... this is ours. I've replaced the 'candles' with glass shades, all 5 for c $6 from a charity shop, and am keeping my eyes open for a nice set of original shades. But the chandelier is still sitting there, waiting for me to tear down the ceiling! Job Number 463!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:10:15 pm by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:38:30 pm »
Well it could be French and from that time period,, but here is the thing about lighting. Most are unmarked so you have to take what anyone says with a grain of sand !! Although it could be as he says and does look like it,, how long has he had it hanging there? Most shops like to move things fairly quickly so if he has had it a while he may be open to offers. If it has to be rewired, that would also knock money off !! Cleaning is another thing to take into account !!  Mario is about right on price !! $700. or there about is what I would expect it to bring if in good condition otherwise !!

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »
The bulbs with the fake candle bases do not look right to me. I would do some research to see what this chandelier originally looked like before parting with the cash. JMO.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:22:41 pm »
Wayward is right,, the bulbs are definately wrong !! The covers may have been replaced at one time. I would lift the cover and see what the arms look like underneath. Also see what kind of base the bulbs have !! If its French they may be different from ours. Ask to plug it in to see what it looks like !! Look at the wiring to see if its been redone. If not,, take the cost of rewiring into account with pricing !!  Although not difficult to do yourself, you may need to pay an electrician if you are not comfortable rewiring it !!

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »
I agree that the bulbs and bases are not right! If you look at the pic, even the fourth one over has a different base that the bulb goes into :-\

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:21:47 am »
The fake drippy candle bases could be original, they are of that period and certainly very common in French and other European pieces. That same style was used for quite a few years. I personally don't like them (you can see the ones that I removed in my photo) that's why I want to use shades. The fittings on the base will be really  quite simple, two metal strips acting as a spring to keep either the 'candles' in place or now, in our case, the shades.
Over here if that chandelier was being sold in a shop (does not apply to Auctions or private sales) then the retailers need to re-wire it or at least check it first to make sure that it conforms to current legislation, I'd have thought that it was the same over there?
The bulbs shouldn't be a problem, simple candle bulbs would make all the difference.

Nai10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 06:36:43 am »
Thanks to everyone for your responses...
 ;D
The store owner told me that it was originally with candles, and it was wired for electricity at a later stage, along with the addition of the fake candles.

I was planning on removing the drippy candles and replacing them with candle bulbs. As for the wiring and electricity - there are absolutely no laws or regulations about making sure that something like this is properly wired (in so many ways Israel is a first world country...and in so many others, it's the wild west) so thanks for the tip - if I buy it I will get an electrician make sure everything is to standard and not a hazard.

Thanks again and have a good weekend,
Lisa

Nai10

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 06:38:18 am »
mariok54 - I like the chandelier - it has a certain rustic charm.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:34:48 am »
I like the chandelier!  I have seen many with the look...with candles.  Great adding at least candlelight lights.

Best of luck!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:30:53 am »
there are absolutely no laws or regulations about making sure that something like this is properly wired (in so many ways Israel is a first world country...and in so many others, it's the wild west)

Hi .. Sorry, I naturally assumed you were in the States! If you decide to make them an offer, let us know how it goes!

Yes, 'Rustic' is what we call it ... goes with our Rustic cottage ... others may call it something very different!  ;D