Author Topic: Furniture with Jasperware (Wedgwood)  (Read 5115 times)

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
Furniture with Jasperware (Wedgwood)
« on: June 04, 2011, 03:37:25 pm »
Hi,

I'm new here!  ;D  I'm from the midwest area of America.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything (any little tid-bit is great) about furniture with jasperware (Wedgwood) in it.  I have been searching aimlessly to find information, and I haven't been successful. :(

I came across a few pieces of furniture (not sure if it's antique, but looks very antique) that have blue-white jasperware as a part of the drawer handles/pulls.  There is a dresser, desk (missing parts), side table, and a bed.  The bed does not have any jasperware on it; interestingly enough, it does have a wood carving at the head of the bed which is the same picture as on the jasperware pieces.  I think the wood might be walnut or coromandel.  I'm really not sure.  (I'm bad with wood types.)

I'm trying to find any information about this furniture.  What makers created this type of furniture?  What style(s) is it in?  What is a general price range for these types of furniture?

I hope someone can help me out!  Thank you very much!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:43:04 pm by KiwiHoshi »

waywardangler

Re: Furniture with Jasperware (Wedgwood)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:11:21 pm »
Pics are worth a thousand words.

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »
Yes, I know.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures as the furniture pieces were in an antique store.   :-[  The only thing I could find online that is close is here: http://www.auctionwally.com/appraisals/whats-it-worth-appraisal-for-sheraton-demi-lune-sideboard.html

The drawer handles were very similar except oval shaped, blue and white jasperware, and they had a lady picture instead of flowers.  The difference is the style of the furniture....it looked French...maybe, Louis XV or Louis XIV?  I'm not really sure.  That's the best I can do for now.  :-\

I'll see if I can go back to the store and sneak some pictures.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:55:54 am »
As Wayward says, pictures would be useful. It's impossible to even comment on something when you've only got a photo of something similar to view. Photos of the actual article will hopefully help identify style, even age. A bit like asking someone to identify a Doberman by posting a picture of a chihuaha  ;D

If you can snap some shots in the shop that would be great!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:27:40 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:30:20 am »
Careful with those pulls,, they have been reproduced many times over the years !!

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:34:11 pm »
Okay, I'm back!  I was finally able to sneak some photos. :)  Unfortunately, I was trying to hurry so fast that I forgot to take a photo of the full bed.  (The shop had set items on the bed and furniture, anway...so it was difficult regardless.  :-\)  Also, sorry about the photo of the headboard.  The photo didn't come out well, but I decided to post it anyway.  The headboard carving is the same picture as the jasperware, I think.

(First photo is the headboard carving. Second is the desk.  Third is the highboy (?).  Fourth is the jasperware hardware.)

The jasperware looks like it's green and white in my photos, but it's actually blue and white.  The missing pieces were in the furniture drawers.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:44:53 pm by KiwiHoshi »

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:56:00 pm »
And here are the other photos.  (First is the side table, second is the dresser, and third is a picture of the jasperware on the dresser~sorry, it's not very clear.)  By the way, I just noticed that the japerware picture on the dresser is different from highboy (it's a highboy, right?), so I'm wondering if that's the same for the side table jasperware and the desk jasperware.  But the furniture and jasperware are all the same color and style. :)

Also, the desk and the side table do not have actual fabric on the top.  Both have class with room below that has been filled with cut out squares of fabric to fit the shape.  I don't think the fabric is original...

Any information is appreciated...wheth er it's style, maker, wood, etc.

[If I've made any errors, let me know and I'll edit my posts.]

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:26:29 pm »
I agree the wood is probably walnut !! Hard to say much without more detailed pics but I would say it was probably made in England. It is unusual to find that many pieces together. What has the store owner told you about this set ??

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:59:33 pm »
Thanks for your reply!  When I asked the store clerk, she was clueless; she couldn't even tell me what kind of wood it is.  :-[  The shop sells mostly clothes, though...so maybe, that's why they have no idea??  I wondered if the furniture was really antique because of the price for the set, so that's why I decided to ask on here.  :)  Maybe, the owners just don't know much about antique furniture??

I really like the furniture set, though.  If possible, I'd like to find out the maker so I can search for other pieces.  By the way, the X marks and the leaves details on the furniture are wood as well.  Do you think they are walnut and just stained light or a different wood?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 12:46:00 am »
This is a beautiful set, I love that it is somewhat unisex. It's quite detailed and pretty for the ladies but also has a masculinity about it with those X's.
How much are they asking for the set? I don't think it was made any time recently, looks to be 1920's-40's. What time frame does everyone else think?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:47:36 am by hosman321 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:53 am »
I think close to 1920 from the style !!  Thats another thing,, they seem to be transitional pieces. Not exactly one particular style but more an in between type. I think the lighter wood is probably different as that was a common thing to do with inlays. Doesn`t make a lot of sense to use the same wood if they wanted it to stand out !! I also would like to know the asking price of the set ??  If it is reasonable,, I would snap it up before someone else does.  I certainly would !!  You may not find that many pieces in one place for a long time !!  Its possible that there is something on the back of at least one piece telling the maker.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:15 am »
I agree with Mart about the 'style' ... or confusion of ... I was even thinking that it was European, rather than English (I know we in the UK  in Europe  ;D )
I would have said that it was probably Edwardian, so even a bit earlier, but difficult to tell.

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:56:38 am »
Thanks for the responses!  It's great to hear some sort of information about these pieces; I've looked online to see if I could find any similar pieces but with no luck.  The only thing I could find is the style may be Marquetry or LouisXIV/LoiusXV.  I've also found that there are furniture pieces with porcelain and brass mounts, but I haven't found any with jasperware.  By the way, do you think the medallions are really jasperware?

You can actually see the price tag on the dresser in that photo.  They are asking about $1500 for the set (6 pieces even though I only counted 5, so I'm not sure where the 6th piece is.  The set has been in the store for a bit; price was originally $1500 and then, they reduced it by 50 cents so it's now actually $1499.50.  lol.)

If you think the price is right, I'll go buy the set.  I really, really like the set and the uniqueness of it; it does need some repair but I think it's fixable.  :-\

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 12:07:02 pm »
I think that is extremely reasonable for six pieces !! With todays economy you might get more off the price than $.50 if you offer cash !! Try $1200. cash,, all they can say is "no" and you are no worse off !! They might counter with a price above yours but lower that the original so you still win !! 

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »
I would be even cheekier, and offer them say c $800 in cash, and have the money in your hand. As Mart says, the can only say 'No' .... Then maybe you'll settle on an amount that you'll both be happy with.

There is a lot of furniture there, and that is actually in the your favour... How many people are going to want to buy six pieces of furniture?