Author Topic: What do you think of this? I found it on eBay, guy is like selling lifes collec  (Read 5961 times)

theeoldpoet1

I am thinking of bidding, I dont know that much about all this stuff they have but I am asking you all if you think its worth it, my top bid would be $20K.

Please let me know.

HERE IS THE LINK

CLICK

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-lot-gold-silver-coin-currency-notes-set-Art-/130528310190?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D392464515351967423

waywardangler

If you "don't know that much about all this stuff they have" why would you bid up to $20,000 on it based on what others think?

theeoldpoet1

I just figured it must be worth at least that, I have been to enough antique stores to know what some of its worth. I dont know, should I?

waywardangler

“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.” AL

mariok54

• View Profile

Did you not post these messages last February and April?
Are you a buyer or a seller? 

Selling my HUGE estate sale online

hey everyone! I am introducing myself and am happy to be a member of this forum.

if anyone is interested I have a HUGE estate auction on ebay

heres the link for you

What are you talking about??? I am selling it all. I need the $. Why are you all so scared of whats real??? Seriously, It took me a month just to take all the photos for that ad, AND it is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for others who collect. Dont be so quick to judge. thank you.

hosman321

• View Profile
They may have some great stuff in there but putting that piece of junk resin clock in the auction totally ruined the vibe of the whole lot for me...

waywardangler

???  Hosman, what clock is the "junk resin clock"? The black one with gold pillars in the back center? I know those are common but did not realize they were resin. I thought they were some other man made material. I see this style from time to time so many families must have bought them for their mantle. Prices vary due to condition but think most are less than $100.

I see the bid is up to $10,600 and the top bidder is the person with 65 feedback. Very strange. Possibly a shill bidder?

hosman321

• View Profile
Not the black one wayward, I believe it is right above or right below that black one. It is a clock/jewelry box has a red second hand. I should have been more specific. :)
Also, some of the art/paintings are reproductions, and bad ones at that. I just don't see how/why there would be a mixture of coins, silver, crappy clocks and reproduction art. ???
If I were a collector or dealer, I wouldn't bid on it. I wouldn't know what to do with the reproductions and low value items. It should be in 2 lots or take away the reproductions all together.

waywardangler

OK, I see it. Bid is now $11,000. Go figure.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
That's a lot of money to spend, with no guarantee the items will actually show up.  I see the seller doesn't take a credit card (they prefer a wire transfer -- big red flag!), so you have little recourse if they skip town with your money. 

As to the items, they look pretty.  The coins are not that fabulous.  The entire set of acylic proof sets is probably worth about $500.  You can see that the stacks of bills are not of like items (see where the stack with the $5 on top, where the design on the bills below it are clearly NOT that of a $5 bill -- you might as well consider that all the bills you can't see are just ones).  Some of the notes pulled out and highlighted are worth more than face value, but most of them are not worth but just a few bucks over face value.

The circulated coins, especially the foreign ones, aren't worth much at all.  They are fun to look at, study, and explore, though!  As a kid, I loved trying to interpret the foreign words on foreign coins, and figure out what countries they came from, without looking anything up.  As to the domestic circulated coins, unless there's something extremely rare in there, you won't have much.  And bear in mind that coins are not solid silver or solid gold, as they would be too soft to survive the rigors of being a coin.  The Peace and Morgan dollars are about 90% silver and 10% copper, for a melt value of about $25 per coin.  Assuming, of course, the coin isn't valuable because of its rarity.

Good luck! 

Oceans64

• View Profile
I absolutely would not pay any other way than PP. The only time I have lost $$ on eBay was when I wired $$.  The seller had GREAT 100% feedback. Turns out his account was hacked and I wasn't dealing with him.  Ebay verified for me but of course the only thing I got from eBay was an emailed apology - in form letter no less...

Given that it would take a lot of time and effort to sell all of that stuff on eBay/CL etc...  It may not be a bad way to go.  I know the estate selling companies in my area charge 50% of the sale so that's tough...  (disclaimer - have only verified with 2 companies)

An auction house maybe? What's their take usually? 25%?

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.” AL

Unfortunately, Wayward, he only has to fool one person once .. then its bad news for that person.  :(

waywardangler

A fool and his money are soon parted. TT

mariok54

• View Profile
A fool and his money are soon parted. TT

This thread is certainly bringing out more than the poet in you, Wayward! I recognised the Abraham Lincoln quote, but I have to admit that I had to look up TT, and am now the wiser that this little proverb dates back to the 16th c from Thomas Tusser .... !  :D

waywardangler

If you can't have a little fun now and then, what can you have?

I have not been able to use my most favorite sayings yet..."Better than a kick in the head" and "It's a tough row to hoe"...which I used on my daughter's so much that they now also use them.  ;D