Author Topic: Old Lord Tennyson Book  (Read 1698 times)

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
Old Lord Tennyson Book
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:04:07 am »
Okay, here is my first book post.

I bought this old Lord Tennyson book for about $1.50.  It's not in the best condion.  I think it might be missing the cover?  I was wondering how I should store it and if it's okay to touch the pages with my fingers.  Should I wear special gloves?

And...if anyone knows the value, I wouldn't mind knowing that too.  :)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Old Lord Tennyson Book
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 02:23:11 pm »
I don't know a ton about books but I believe the best two storage methods are either storing it upright with other books (with the spine facing out) or in an acid-free storage box. Of course, it's best to use cotton gloves when handling old books but I don't do it. I don't know if it helps at all but I wipe the oils off my hands with a cloth several times while I am handling my books and newspapers. Although it probably just makes me feel like I am doing something right rather than actually making a difference.  ::)

Mindings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:07:04 am »
Hi

I collect antiquarian books including some early Tennyson. The main problem with valuation here is the condition. It looks as if there is some water damp damage. Certainly paying $1.50 is acceptable and in the UK in it's present state you would probably get a little more, though without a careful look it's nearly impossible to say. I don't think it's a first edition and the Cambridge press may have released it with a soft cover, though without more research I am uncertain. The statement conveying rights to a US company to publish makes it less certain to be a very early edition.

Antiquarian books do need to be handled with care and yes cotton gloves are advisable. The acid that's present in the sweat can seriously damage old paper, but also general handling of fragile pape can lead to the paper being torn.

Phil from the UK

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:38:32 am »
It looks very thin, more like a pamphlet.  I'd store it flat, in a plastic sleeve, like those commonly used for collectible comic books.

KiwiHoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:54:17 pm »
Okay, thanks for the replies.   :)  I'll see about storing it in a plastic sleeve.  What about a paper envelope (one of those yellow ones)?

I'm pretty sure it's not a first edition Enoch Arden, but I'm not entirely sure...although, I should probably look at it more carefully.  I know it's missing the back cover....at least, I'm led to believe so.  The back has text and says, "The End" on the bottom.  lol.  Also, I think the picture on the cover is a picture of Tennyson...which is cool, but slightly strange as well... 

If anyone wants more photos, I can post more.   :)