Author Topic: Woodpecker Woodware Fish Toothpick Holders? or What Help  (Read 1814 times)

agreeneyes

Woodpecker Woodware Fish Toothpick Holders? or What Help
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:24:43 pm »
Would someone know anything about these two hand carved and handpainted wood fish.  They have holes all over on them which I'm not sure what for.  Possibly toothpick holders?  The label says Woodpecker Woodware Japan so I'm assuming they're possibly 1950's-1960's. the fins turn in a circle  and they definitely show wear. They're approximately 4 1/2 inches tall.  This is why I keep coming to the experts. I would appreciate any information about these with the age these were made and possibly a value if any.  Thank you
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:38:59 pm by agreeneyes »

waywardangler

Re: Woodpecker Woodware Fish Toothpick Holders? or What Help
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 02:36:44 pm »
I am curious as to if you tried toothpicks in the holes to see if they are the right size and stand well? Rosemeade Pottery made pheasant (among others) toothpick holders that had holes in the body so these fish could be used in the same way. But if they do not hold toothpicks then...

The trademark info http://www.trademarkia.com/woodpecker-woodware-72164595.html

I think the fish are probably a Hors D'oeuvre set.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:46:14 pm by waywardangler »

agreeneyes

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 03:37:38 pm »
I have tried the toothpicks and they fit,  there also seems to some remnants of broken off wood pieces in a couple of the holes, which could also be tooth picks.  I paid $.25 cents for the pair at a yard sale, I'm wondering what the value might be.

agreeneyes

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »
I added a picture with the toothpicks stuck in the holes.  A couple of the holes still had small pieces of wood stuck in them so I was unable to put a toothpick there.  It looks right with the toothpicks so it might very well be an Hors D'oeuvre set.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »
Cute!  Not their more common items from the 60's.  You traditionally see the rooster decal on them (we had hamburger presses and knife holder).  Also had salt and pepper shakers....I believe they were Salty and Peppy!

Not a high demand item...but novel! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

agreeneyes

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »
Any idea on value, thank you

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:53:13 pm »
No idea as to value and I also have no clue as to demand. There must be collectors looking for items such as these but what they pay is the question.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »
Believe Wayward is right,, have to admit,, they just too cute !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:57 am »
Thank you from what I've tried to research they seem to be unusual.