Author Topic: Who's Mark is this???  (Read 2739 times)

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
Who's Mark is this???
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »
I've looked at every mark I can find on the internet and cannot identify this beautiful piece of porcelain.  The mark is a delicate capital F with a crown on it and imprinted into the porcelain is the date 1887. Please help!
thanks!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Who's Mark is this???
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:43:24 pm »
I hope someone can help you because I am curious, too! I love this piece, it's just my style.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 06:44:26 pm »
I believe you have a reproduction of Furstenberg, Germany mark !!  Original mark would have been  darker and bolder with a dot by the F !! No dot indicates a repro !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:51:13 pm »
Agree looks like a repro/knockoff.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:22:38 am »
Maybe Chris Marshall could weigh in on this? A positive ID on a genuine piece vs. a repro has a huge difference in worth.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:30:58 am »
Also, do you guys think this is a newer knockoff or an older one? I have heard of companies reproducing items a long time ago (when the originals were made) so that they could fool people back in the day. If it's older, it may still be worth something, just not as much.

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:08:31 am »
Hi all,

the mark shown is not a fake or knock-off but it is very often misidentified based on the fact that Ackermann & Fritze and Ernst Bohne from Rudolstadt-Volkstedt (Thuringia) used similar marks. Both attributions are incorrect, the user of this mark (introduced around 1955) was the short-lived and lesser known decoration business and glass/porcelain shop of Franz Witter from the town of Brühl in North-Rhine Westphalia (which should not be confused with the pressed glass factory of Franz Wittwer from the same town). He is not listed in any common porcelain reference books as his main business was glass and giftware and he was (per definition) not a real manufacturer even though he sold large numbers of porcelain and porcelain lace figures.

The info available on a few paysites states exactly that, so there is no need to join them - I bet you can guess who they nicked that info from in the first place.

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:18 am »
Thanks for identifying this mark!  I've done a little research online just now and do find Franz Witter pieces with marks that look very similar.  I didn't think it was a Furstenberg b/c their F is more of a cursive one and the crowns I've seen them use aren't anything like this one on my piece.  I do think it must be a Franz Witter.  I'm contemplating putting it on eBay.  Do you have a better idea as far as a venue for selling it?  Other than one hand broken off and missing, the piece is in mint condition.  Your estimated retail value?

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:19:43 am »
Other than one hand broken off and missing, the piece is in mint condition.
Unfortunately, with one hand broken off and missing, this is not in "mint condition" and should not be described as such. That the hand is missing is a major deal to collectors and would cost some $$$ to be restored properly. My estimate of a retail value would be nil due to the damage. Putting it on eBay will allow you to find out what its' current value is in its' current state.

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 11:24:12 am »
Okay, thanks for the info!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 02:56:56 pm »
Like I say,,, learn something new every day !!  Never heard of those !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:26 pm »
Learned something new from the best in this area of knowledge!  Thanks Chris!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!