Author Topic: Help with an antique Chinese flatware / silverware cabinet  (Read 1847 times)

detan1

• View Profile
Help with an antique Chinese flatware / silverware cabinet
« on: June 07, 2011, 05:39:38 pm »
Hi, wondering if someone can help me identify this item, I purchased it from an estate sale several years ago from a family that traveled overseas often. I think it is Chinese and it is a silverware cabinet and is from the 1960's??? It measures 31 inches high, 24 inches wide, and 14 inches deep. I am hoping someone knows where it's from, when it dates from, what the figures are inlayed with, and the value.  Thanks!!!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help with an antique Chinese flatware / silverware cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:26:22 pm »
The style looks like 50`s or later !!  Much laquerware has been exported and sold here and other countries. What the inlays are,, can`t tell without seeing it in person. Could be mother of pearl or other shell material, bone, semi-precious stone was common !! Hard to say !! Looks more Japanese than Chinese to me !! All the pics didn`t download so couldn`t see if you attached pics with doors and drawers open !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:41:14 am »
Agree with Mart re being Japanese.... also that it would require a closer inspection or fuller description. It is a pretty piece.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 03:10:12 pm »
Hardware is put on with slotted screws so not particularly old !!  Like I said 50`s or so !! Bracket feet also indicate that approx. date !!

detan1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:03:21 am »
Thanks, any idea on the value?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:41 am »
Probably around $200. or so !! No one uses them much today !! And Japanese laquerware just doesn`t fit well with todays styles !!