Author Topic: Please help me identify this 2 inch by 1 inch wood carving  (Read 7297 times)

waywardangler

Re: Please help me identify this 2 inch by 1 inch wood carving
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:26:50 pm »
I suspect it is horn. if it was bone, it would be dyed and then the scrimshaw detail would be darker not lighter.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:35:19 am »
Could be horn !!  When I said bone I was looking at the tiny fissures running lengthwise in it !!  When I first looked at it my thought was a calculator of sorts !! Or something for counting !!

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 12:27:28 pm »
On the body, there are some diagonal lines that are drawn across the grids. Where these diagonal lines go,there is nothing in the boxes...no o's or x's. I find that odd. Maybe this is some type of game etched on the barrel.

I still think the two banded figures are centipedes because they have many feet and banded sections. What is the square in the center signify? If the horn(?) could be identified then maybe the country of origin and then maybe what it is. For some reason it just looks like primitive African etching to me but it could be from some other continent also. I have tried searching under different wordings but nothing even close so far.

Anyone familiar with Mayan history? Could this be a calendar?

Myriapoda In Ancient Maya Art (Centipedes)  http://www.my2k.com/2009/08/myriapoda-in-ancient-maya-art.html           an image that is similar follows...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:42:44 pm by waywardangler »

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 09:28:17 pm »
Yes, It does like a centipede from the Mayan website and there is farming mentioned in that site too. I think we are getting closer to the truth!..and your observation about the lines is quite correct that where these go there are no x or o's. I did not notice that. What still fascinates me that the piece is so small it cannot possibly be drawn with the naked eye and they did not have magnifiers in the Mayan era. My eerie feeling is that this is if was done in Mayan times, then some non-human or super-human did these etchings. I don't thjnk there is any artifact so small in size with so much detail in any museum in the world. Also, what could the Mayan/super-humans have used to etch such a thing?. This etching is done with such a small and sharp object that it is quite possibly comparable to the sharpest of the sharpest strong needles in existence today. I would definitely have to take this to a University archaeology department next week when I get a chance. THEY CAN CARBON-DATE IT AND IDENTIFY THE HORN AS WELL. I will keep you guys posted and look forward to more inputs if somebody sees something more in the etchings. ANOTHER IMAGE IS ATTACHED TO SHOW THE SCALE OF THE OBJECT AND THE DETAIL. I tried wearing it on my left hand finger next to the thumb and it's exactly fits it to the nearest mm (using mm because its more accurate). I suspect somebody wore it on their finger as well in Mayan/? times. But as you can see the fine line etchings cannot be drawn with the naked eye on such a small object with such accuracy. NOTE that no two lines cross each other where it is not intended. They could have drawn this on a rock. But no, this was not something for everybody to see, that's why it is so small (my guess).

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:22:53 pm by azzaro »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 02:38:07 pm »
If its horn, its probably Rhino horn. Which is looked at in some cultures as a religious object !!  Don`t think its Mayan although the symbols are similar but,,, !!  Just wait and see I guess !! Let us know !!

WT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 03:30:00 pm »
May I throw my two cents in. Could it be an ancient planting calendar in a Runic alphabet. They seem to have a similarity to Celtic styling and the dragons or centipedes look like bailed straw or hay with an artistic flair. The ancient calendars had eight seasons if I remember correctly, I can't see how many rows there are to count. Just an observation. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 04:57:38 pm »
Welcome aboard !!  At this point we are all just throwing out ideas !!  We welcome yours !!

waywardangler

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 09:19:54 pm »
Yes, WT, throw out all the ideas you can because that is all any of us are doing at the present time. Hopefully, one may stick.

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:10:23 pm »
Runic Alphabet?. I do see some symbols that are not x's and o's and there is a big X like character covering the corners of 4 squares. Will keep you posted..after my visit to archeology departments next week.

Here is a short video that I took==>
http://vimeo.com/24978661
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:43:41 pm by azzaro »

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 11:42:41 pm »
I found this poem in the Wikipedia site describing runes in terms of Horns ( Hey we may have something here..!!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_alphabet

This poem is in regards to great physical challenges that must be overcome to achieve mystical wisdom.

In stanza 139, Odin continues:

Viš hleifi mik seldo ne viž hornigi,
    nysta ek nižr,
    nam ek vp rvnar,
    opandi nam,
    fell ek aptr žašan.

No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn,
    downwards I peered;
    I took up the runes,
    screaming I took them,
    then I fell back from there.[20]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:07:08 am by azzaro »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 02:19:03 am »
Similar writing and style, although I don't know if it's related...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd_stones

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 04:57:58 am »
Hi,
I think that radiocarbon dating might be a wee bit expensive. I know that it's probably cheaper and more accurate now but you might still have to be prepared to part with a couple of hundred dollars.
Re the intricacy of the piece, and it is wonderful, I would not underestimate the talents possessed by some of our ancestors.
It was great to see the video, and what that has thrown up is the pristine condition of the piece. If it is ancient then it has been extremely well looked after.
Let us know what the Archaeology Dept say.

waywardangler

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 07:48:01 am »
Radiocarbon dating would only date the horn (approximately). It would not date the scribings.

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 07:51:01 am »
I have shown it to some friends and it is definitely HORN and most say it is quite possibly related to the first and oldest European (Viking) settlement in North America in Newfoundland, Canada (500 years before Columbus). Mystery surrounds what they did here and where they went. There are still some ruins of their settlement here. I am in Ottawa, Canada. Here are the links..

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/when-did-the-first-europeans-settle-in-north-america-and-what-is-the-oldest-european-settlement-in-canada

http://www.essortment.com/lanse-aux-meadows-ancient-viking-settlement-20980.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:56:12 am by azzaro »

waywardangler

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 07:58:19 am »
It does not look very Norwegian to me and I am of 100% Norwegian ancestry.