Author Topic: Milan Box Company Ammo Box  (Read 784 times)

trsurdapst

• View Profile
Milan Box Company Ammo Box
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:56:02 pm »
I bought this ammo box and plan to do some repairs and put sealer on it. As I was cleaning it the markings appeared and I began to wonder if it is something I should be concerned about fixing up. It appears to be from 1959 if that is the manufactured date. So I assume it isn't old enough to be of real value, but just being safe.

I found the Milan Box Company online. Founded in 1927, manufactured fruit and produce crates, ammo boxes with the start of WWI and turned to more industrial crates in the 50's. I looked all over online, including ebay and several antique box dealers and came up empty regarding this box. Am interested in any history of the box as I am fixing it up as a gift. Any idea of the value if possible. Thanks so much!

It measures 15.5x13.3x9 inches. Pictures attached.
Had one more of the side, but limited to four pics. Markings on side read: M-327 LOT SGK-1-3

waywardangler

Re: Milan Box Company Ammo Box
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »
Common military surplus ammo box. I have one that was made into a shelf unit and decorated on the outside. These are usually bought by the pallet full at military auctions. Dealers then try to make some money by selling them singly at flea markets,gun shows, etc. My wife had 3 she sold after trying to get me to make something out of them. Sold at a garage sale for $3 each. I have seen people make benches and planters with them. I see them from time to time at garage sales and most people do not even look at them. My wife got them from my brother-in-law who got a few at a gun show (cheap).

No real value as an antique because there are so many of them out there. Any gun show should have guys trying to sell them at their booths. Many different markings and box style variations. Usually used for storage. Very heavy and well made for their size.

Many different ammo boxes for sale on this site http://boxeschestscollectibles.okpdf.com/boxes-chests/army-metal-ammo.html

There are few wood military surplus ammo boxes on eBay because the shipping cost is prohibitive compared to the worth of the box.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:46:18 pm by waywardangler »