Author Topic: Can someone please help identify this piece for me ?  (Read 7761 times)

cjmusic

• View Profile
Can someone please help identify this piece for me ?
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:02:43 pm »
I recently recieved this item in a box of german books that my grandmother had .. the item i am wondering about is a match holder, there was a box of matches in it when i got buy i took them out. The item has a stamp on the front that says SE in a circle and on the side it has a stamp marked 980 which im guessing means its silver. i really am interested to know what the SE means and how old this item is and the value of it

thank you all in advance

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Can someone please help identify this piece for me ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:12:27 pm »
Oh, this item is just beautiful. Adam and Eve? Looks very art nouveau, right around 1890-1910-ish. Although I better let more experienced people weigh in on that. I'll see if I can go find some similar ones. Thanks for posting!

cjmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 05:17:28 pm »
no thank you ! i am glad to know i have somthing that is beautiful to someone else besides just me  :) Yes i believe that is Adam and Eve on there with the apple and the snake it looks like .. i also think that around the stone piece might be gold ? im not sure though ..   i found this in the bottom of a box of books .. the box was labeled german books and all the books where written in german. I was amazed after looking through the books as there was a ancestral passport for aryan detection during the time of the Nazi's. The small book is filled with info on family members dating all the way back to 1731 ! every entry is stamped and its very very cool. I think you had to have one of these back then to prove you where who you where and this was how you could get a job and what not

thank you again for your responce , i have been looking everywhere and i cant find a single thing about this item

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:19:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum cjmusic.  Along with hosman I'm no expert here but I thought this page might help you out......

http://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html

Also, from what I can see your mark appears to be 900 not 980 and if it ties in with the above link it would date it 1900 - 1920's.

Will see if I can come up with anything on your Sc  ;)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »
It's like a treasure hunt, isn't it CJ?! I would love to find some cool stuff like that. When I am searching for "Adam Eve Art Nouveau", among others, I keep seeing the painting of Adam and Eve by Gustav Klimt. It appears that this painting was very popular at the time and represented woman's feminine power over man. I'm thinking that maybe he kind of romanticized Adam and Eve and others followed. Just an idea. If that's the case, the painting was done in 1917.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:34 pm »
Before I move on to another hit I want to post this (my memory is not my friend  :D).  If your 'number' does signify a Mexican mark and someone here can't come up with your maker you could join the forum on this site (see bottom of page) and post your pics there as well..........

http://www.925-1000.com/mexican_menu.html

Now back to the hunt!

cjmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 05:28:33 pm »
thank you, i found that one site as i was looking up silver markings. But the name that went with it did not make sense with the marking on the piece ? i have typed in alote of variations of the initials and cant find anything at all that is close to have anything with art / antiques

it would be nice to know what this is as my grandfather spent alote of time in germany during the war so did my father, my grandmother on my moms side was actually in one of the camps so i wonder if there was a reason it was in with the german books ? hmm

thanks mate

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 05:29:42 pm »
Just looking at the magnified shot of the makers mark.....possibly Se ?  and maybe surrounded by a backwards C ??

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 05:29:47 pm »
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-victorian-adam-eve-sterling-match-safe
Not really similar, but just something I found. Maybe Klimt wasn't the influence...

cjmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 05:35:13 pm »
yes the marking is se and i though that maybe it could be a backwards C around it but im thing its just the way it got stamped on there .. but who knows .. i am no expert for sure

when i type in on google adam and eve match holder and similar things i keep getting that picture you posted, that one though seems newer maybe as its made of sterling ? well no nevermind thats not right

cjmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 05:37:22 pm »
i should put some pics up of the book with the family logs i mentioned .. i really think all of you would really be amazed by it

its a thing that i personally think i will end up selling though or donate or give to someone as its a subject i dont feel comfterble with

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 05:45:13 pm »
cj, if you don't plan on keeping the book donating it would be a wonderful gesture......either to a family member who has a great interest in your genealogy or to a museum dedicated to preserving items from that sad and never to be forgotten time in history.

I can understand your discomfort, but it is also what made those who came before you who they were.  Another member here, talesoftheseven seas (Tales) has been on the other end, actually trying to retrieve personal letters of direct ancestors that are basically being held hostage to the highest bidder.....when really the only ones with genuine interest are the descendants.

It would be wonderful to see a separate thread with your pics and some details on your family's 'life' book.

cjmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 05:47:51 pm »
I noticed that and it really mad me sad and frustrated ! i was looking up the document book and all i kept finding where links to ebay .. just a bunch of people selling them on ebay and there getting good money for them ! i feel thats an insult to sell somthing like that especially to the family

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 05:48:14 pm »
I agree with Sapphire! A museum would be a wonderful place but there are also collectors who will pay for such amazing items. Many of us on the forum have Nazi-related items. Not because we agree with any part of it, but because they are pieces of history that deserve to be properly preserved. Whatever you decide, do not feel bad for owning them.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 05:49:48 pm »
In tales' case, the documents are awesome pieces of family history and the seller is selling them for a small fortune. They really have little monetary value to someone outside the family but they are being held hostage because he knows the family wants them so bad. GRRR