Author Topic: Cornwallis and Washington?  (Read 1394 times)

babibluz

• View Profile
Cornwallis and Washington?
« on: June 24, 2004, 10:29:45 am »
A few years ago a friend gave me a wash bowl with a pitcher.  I cannot find any dates on  either piece.  However, my friend did purchase some antiques at shows, and others from markets.  This pitcher and bowl do match, I think.  The bowl is cream in color with gold painting around the edges and has four circular pictures in the bowl.  They are: "Surrender of Cornwallis, and under it is written John Trumbull".  The pitcher is about 12 inches tall with the same gold-tone trim with waved indented features around the neck of the pitcher.  The picture on the front:  "Washington Crossing the Delaware, and under it Emmanuel Leuhe or Leuke". (not sure of that?)

Can you offer me any information?  Value of this? I have tried to look this up on line, however am not sure where to search.  Thanks for your help.  

Brenda  B)  

kerrybee

• View Profile
Cornwallis and Washington?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 03:11:20 pm »
These are transfers, of famous paintings.  You didn't mention any makers marks on either the bottom of the pitcher or bowl.  The wash bowl set could be a commemorative, made in USA.  

Intriguing.  Have you googled for vintage wash bowl sets?  or antique pitcher and bowl?  KB      :blink: