Author Topic: Wooden Figurines  (Read 1468 times)

trixie

• View Profile
Wooden Figurines
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »
I have had these figures for over 36 years. I was told many years ago that they were chess pieces; however, I'm not really sure if they are or not. this is my entire collection. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this type of sculpture or if anyone has heard of the artist C. Schuppel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Trixie

waywardangler

Re: Wooden Figurines
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:25:53 pm »
With the umlaut, I assume Schuppel was German or from Germany. The one on the upper right does look like it would be a chess piece. Nice figures. Are they hand carved wood?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:04 pm »
     Those are some of the most Fabulous Wood Carvings I've seen to date.  (which really is not saying much ) ;)  I just love the patina these wooden carvings has got.  Not knowing much about Wood Carvings but they look Old, Unique, Quality Art, Signed, and Just fab.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:45 am »
If they are chess pieces, then they're not from the same set. There are eight pieces there, which would make sense for the back row, but, apart from the King & Queen, you would need to have duplicates, 2 x Bishop, 2 x Knight, 2 x Castle/Rook.
Nice pieces, though! Do they all have the very same signature on their base?
Any chance of a close up of one or two pieces?

trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:34:04 pm »
They are hand carved and I think the wood is teak. Only 3 pieces have the artists signature on them. I wasn't sure if they were chess pieces, but that's what I was told. My Great Uncle was an avid collector of fine quality art, and since these belonged to him, I assumed they were quality. I was hoping I could get some info on the artist, but I've been coming up empty for years.