Author Topic: need help identifying these chairs  (Read 1613 times)

LHanson

• View Profile
need help identifying these chairs
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:05 am »
Can anyone give me some info on these chairs (set of six)? I think they are walnut. When I purchased them several years ago I was told they were balloon chairs from the 1930's.  The only info I can find on balloon chairs is from the Victorian era.  These have the balloon back but look much simpler than Victorian. 

Also, can you give me any advice on refinishing antique chairs while keeping their value?  They are a little beat up, scratches and scuffs and such, and need some TLC.  Two of them have a back side piece that is broken and will need to be replaced.  I found a local store that specializes in refurbishing antique furniture but how will that affect the chairs' value?

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: need help identifying these chairs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:59:36 am »
They look like a mixture of a balloon back chair from the turn of the century and an 18th century (1700s) style chair. Maybe they were supposed to be a 1700s reproduction with kind of a "modern" feel. "Modern" 90 years ago, that is. Are you able to post a few more pictures of the underneath and/or the joints? In my opinion, you will spend more money refinishing them than they are worth. But if you are keeping them and want them to look good, then it is worth it to you. If you ever sell them, you probably won't make that money back. That one looks to be in pretty darn good shape. Maybe you could just ask the furniture guy to repair and conceal any breaks and do a few minor touch ups, for much less $$$.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:02:08 pm by hosman321 »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:33:12 pm »
Probably just the pic, or my eyes .....  but are the legs made from the same wood?

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »
I was wondering that also Mario. The top does look like walnut but the legs remind me of the legs of my rocking chair. I believe my chair is made of pine. 

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:40 am »
Not just my eyes then! But still maybe the pics or flash. Looking at the front stretcher there is quite a bit of wear where you'd expect to see it, with shoes resting on it, but it almost looks as if a darker stain/varnish has been rubbed off. And my impression also was pine.

LHanson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:53:17 am »
additional pics (as you can see by the white spots, the chair is a little dirty, my apologies, hazards of toddlers).  My camera is not great so hopefully they are clear enough.  First photo is joint from underneath chair (207), then top of chair where back is loose and I was able to pull it out (209). next photo- some irregular hatch marks on some (not all) of the stretchers (217). I tried to get a good photo of the grain on the back of the seat also(205).  The legs do look a little lighter than the seat/back.