Author Topic: How much is a Leonard silver plated fruit bowl?  (Read 2966 times)

azzaro

• View Profile
How much is a Leonard silver plated fruit bowl?
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:43:05 pm »
I googled and found Leonard items from $15 to $500!!!. I only paid $15 for it at a garage sale. I think this piece might be worth at least $75. Anybody agree?. It has three different seperate compartments of approx 6 inch diameter. Pretty big plate..

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:26:21 pm by azzaro »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: How much is a Leonard silver plated fruit bowl?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:51:10 pm »
     Leanord Silver plate items are Post 40's Silverplate and these items came after the Great silverplate era.   These tray are made for Holiday and Speical occasion use, as for the value.  Silverplate is worth very little, but these items are easy to sell.  I have sold lots of silverplate items over the past few years and over all most item sell for well under $20.00.  The ones that do sell are the Victorian and early century silverplate itema and even then you would be hard press to get $75.00 for a nice Tea pot.  Trays are a dime a dozen per say.  I would say your tray is excellent condition is worth about $10.00 tops.

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:52:14 pm »
Items like this are for keeping because they add class to my room and computer desk. I will keep it:).

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:37:39 pm »
Ironlord is spot on. $15 at a garage sale is highway robbery IMO. I would look for some better sales with actual garage sale pricing. That should not have been marked over $5 at sales I frequent.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:12:52 am »
I agree with Ironlord and Wayward. Silverplate just does not hold its price at all. If that was on a car boot table over here it might be priced 50p and still not get a buyer.  Nice Victorian pieces, Sheffield Plate, and real 'statement' pieces can still fetch fairly good prices, but a fraction of what they did 20 years ago.

You seem to be really enthusiastic about your purchases, which is great, if you like it, buy it. And the value of that piece is what someone is prepared to pay for it at that time, so if you pay $10, then that's its value at that time. But that does not mean the value will still be the same when you want to sell it on ... it could go down to $1 or up to $10.

If we could predict prices, we'd all be rich!

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:39:46 am »
Buy high, sell low!  ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:42:32 am »
Buy high, sell low!  ;D

Story of my life!!   ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:01 am »

Here is a stunning Leonard Pitcher and Tray, $2 starting bid, 1 Hour left, No bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leonard-Silver-water-pitcher-and-tray-/230632821855?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item35b2c9945f

Scroll down and look at some of the others, inexpensive ones, silly priced ones, all no bids. That is the current market, unfortunately.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=leonard+silver

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:31:25 am »
I have heard a lot of HORROR stories of people who put up items like that starting at a low bid price on Ebay (to start the bidding process) and when when somebody buys it at a low price, the item is never delivered or the seller makes excuses about the item not being available for one reason or the other.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 12:08:16 pm »
     Yes that can happen from time to time, There was a story here on the forum about a month ago, and once happened to my Lady.  When I started Ebay, I started a few items under my Threshold, and found myself having to ship at a lost.  I soon realized if the item is not a 100% Sell item, I will only start my price at what I am willing to take.  I think when you bvuy from a seller that is new it is more likely to happen. But most Veterns on Ebay have learned this lesson. 

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 01:21:35 pm »
Mario, does this ring a bell?

I have heard a lot of HORROR stories of people who put up items like that starting at a low bid price on Ebay (to start the bidding process) and when when somebody buys it at a low price, the item is never delivered or the seller makes excuses about the item not being available for one reason or the other.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 01:36:41 pm »
Like Quasimodo!

But I got my money's worth giving ebay a wee bit of a headache