Author Topic: Procelain Oval Shaped Box  (Read 2536 times)

frankie42

• View Profile
Procelain Oval Shaped Box
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:03:17 am »
have a large porcelain oval shaped box with a lid attached. It is dark navy blue in color. It has a picture of a man and women on the lid, that looks colonial or a little older. looks to be french or italian. It also has flowers on the front of the box set in an oval white back ground, with gold designs accenting the pictures, and around the box it's self. On the inside of the box it has pictures of a flower design.It has a gold clasp  on the front to close the box. There is a mark on the bottom that is a wreath of leaves in a circle design , that is open at the top. At the top it looks like a small flower of some kind to inclose the oval wreath of leaves.There is a leaf stem that goes half way up the wreath in the center.There is an R on one side and an S on the other side. It looks old, but do not know how old. Hopefully you can help me?  Thank you, Shirley H.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Procelain Oval Shaped Box
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:35:13 am »
Hi and welcome,

A pic of the backstamp would be useful. Is it similar to this one? If so then it could be an RS Prussia or Germany piece.

frankie42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »
thanks for the info.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:26:26 am »
Nice piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:23:29 am »
Two cents:

As there is no picture of the mark, I would be careful to ID such an item as 'RS' based on the description of the mark alone. The original poster did not state 'Germany' or 'Prussia' ... marks without these additions are potential fakes. Then, ole Schlegelmilch only made a few porcelain boxes - most found today are Asian repros. That's two big red warning lights.

I am not saying that this box *is* a fake, I am only mentioning that one should list the facts, explaining *why* one would need a picture of the mark before being able to say more.

Let us just assume it is a fake: worst case would be that the original poster tries to sell this on eBay, believing it is a genuine RS item, only to get mobbed by the RS collectors screaming 'fake'. The OP would of course be put off and (probably) not visit this site again, perhaps even telling other people that this site is unreliable.

Not good, squared :)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:28:56 am »
Hi Chris_Marshall,

All very interesting points, but I say that a pic would be useful, and I did only suggest that if the marks matched then it could be an RS Prussia or Germany piece based upon his/her description. Nobody on this site can guarantee anything. It's up to   Frankie42 to go away and do his/her own research, all I've done is point him/her in one direction.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:49:22 am by mariok54 »

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:21:04 am »
Hi mariok54,

hope there's no misunderstanding there - I was not running up against you or your post!

Only wanted to mention that some items are problematic and require a little more background info. I completely understand your point re: ... Nobody on this site can guarantee anything. It's up to Frankie42 to go away and do his/her own research, all I've done is point him/her in one direction ..., but just because "you know, I know", one can not assume that others know how to take such info - sadly (as is shown daily in other forums, especially on eBay), many people ask a question and jump at the first straw offered, taking everything said as true and valid ... 'asked an expert', like.

We both know that such behaviour is not okay and everybody should cross-check, but many newbies, amateurs or whatever one will call them are far too easily impressed and take answers too easily, believing that *if* something needed to be noted the 'expert' would have told them. Of course not everybody inquiring for the first time or so is like that, but far too many people *are*.

:)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 05:34:28 am »
Hi Chris_Marshall

No problem.  ;)

Unfortunately we can control what we say, what information we give out, but we can't control how people interpret what we say. Every single member might suggest that there is only a remote chance, one in 100 million, that a sketch drawn on a piece of cereal carton is a Picasso, most people will accept that as 'it isn't my retirement fund' .. but there is always that one person who'll go away and put it on ebay as 'believed to be a Picasso'! I come across this all the time in my day job, a Lecturer, not only in how students interpret things that I say in Lectures, but also inventive ways in which they interpret authors' work!!!   ::) ::) ::)

Some people read/hear only what they want to.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:35:35 am »
Mario said...
  ;D Men vs. women perhaps?

No matter what you suggest a mark may or may not be, the owner only hears the good and the high points because that is what they want to believe. The market should correct their thinking and maybe they will learn something for future use.

Most people do not want to hear that what they have is not what they think/thought it is or what it is worth. If they hear a value range of $200-600, they always think it is $600. Condition is important, demand is important, the market is important, etc. When they only get the low end ($200) or less, they are disappointed and feel robbed. There are so many variables that come into play when selling that a certain expected price is almost never achieved.  The only people that fully understand this, are ones that have been buying and selling through up and down markets.

Right now I am checking all of my hoarded cereal cartons for sketches in hopes of finding "my Picasso".  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:58:26 am by waywardangler »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:05:13 am »
Mario said...
  ;D Men vs. women perhaps?

BRAVE MAN,  Wayward!  ;D

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:06:42 am »
 ;D

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:49:46 pm »
 :o very brave wayward.......lol