Author Topic: Older Carpentry tools (2)  (Read 1898 times)

Ryanxia

• View Profile
Older Carpentry tools (2)
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:43:53 am »
Hi all,
   I've got two tools (I believe carpentry tools) that I'd like some info on. I don't believe anything of great value but they have been in the family for a long time and we'd like to know more about them.

The only markings are on the metal that I took pictures of, unfortunately the first name didn't come out well and I didn't write the name down, sorry about that.

Thanks a lot for any info.

waywardangler

Re: Older Carpentry tools (2)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:51:37 am »
Fairly common wood planes. Both appear to have replaced wedges and the long one looks like it has some type of repair in front of the handle. The names stamped on the irons are not necessarily the plane maker as many plane makers bought irons from blade makers. The planes should be stamped in the front or rear faces of the wood. There may also be many mallet marks in the faces but the company or factory that made the plane body should be stamped there also. Owners also stamped their name or initials but they look different than factory names. If you could supply the markings on the wood, I probably could look up some basic info on the maker(s).

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:56:06 am »
Thanks for the reply. The off-color piece in front of the handle on the big one seems to be an original piece that slides out so the handle can be removed.

I looked all over and there were no markings on the wood just the blades (unless they were too faded to see). I checked the sides/top/bottom.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:21 am »
Judging by the wood surrounding the handle (small chips, poor inletting, etc.) that piece is not original but was added. There is no reason to remove that handle unless the original one broke and they replaced that and the way they secured the new one was to inlet that piece in front of the new handle.

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:53:02 am »
Thanks wayward that's probably what happened because I know that the piece slides out and the handle comes off.

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:26:25 pm »
I checked my American Plane Maker books and W. Hovey is not listed but there are other Hoveys that were plane makers. I believe W. Hovey would just be the maker of the iron and may be related to Hoveys that were plane makers. The other iron looked like it read G. Fallin or Pallin and then Cast Steel and warranted. There were no Fallin or Pallin listed so I may be reading the fuzzy pic wrong or that is also just the maker of the iron.  Both planes are probably pre-1900 but to further date them I would need the name of the wood plane body. Absent that, I would guess somewhere between 1850 and 1900.

W. Hovey supposedly patented a plane iron on March 22, 1830 but I can find no further info , description, or image.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:56:44 pm by waywardangler »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:19 am »
Love the old tools...if only they could talk....what stories they would tell!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:40:47 am »
Like the cat, Kalamazoo !  ;D

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:54:19 am »
 ??? What cat, mario?

OMG, that went way over my head!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:56:41 am by waywardangler »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:56:35 am »
Sorry, possibly a little too cryptic!

If that cat could talk, what tales he'd tell,
About Della and the Dealer and the dog as well.
But the cat was cool,
And he never said a mumblin' word.

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:12 am »
And that is what Google is really for...mumblin' to myself.

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »
Thank you all for the help. This is very interesting to me because everything I've put up for identification has been in the family probably since it was new/created. My godmother still has Model T truck wheels and lots of horse and farming related tools, much of which was used for lively hood and well taken care of. I mean this is a farm where old mortar shells are still used as flower holders :)