Author Topic: Old tool - maybe horse related  (Read 1223 times)

Ryanxia

• View Profile
Old tool - maybe horse related
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:46:50 am »
I've got an old tool that I'd like to identify. I was told it might possibly be related to shoeing horses. There were no markings on it that I could see. Any info would be appreciated.

waywardangler

Re: Old tool - maybe horse related
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:58:09 am »
I am not familiar with farrier's tools but the wood part has many powder post beetle holes in it. This is real common but just make sure there are not active beetles in the wood before bringing it inside your house. I usually fill the holes using a syringe filled with watered down white glue to seal up the old holes and then seal the wood in a bag for a period of time to see if any live beetles emerge. Any fresh powdered wood dust and you have new activity. You do not want active powder post beetles in your house.

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:06:40 am »
Thanks for the tip, but this has been hanging on the wall in the house for at least ten years. Should I still bother at this point?

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:31 am »
Uh no, but file it away for future reference.

Your tool does resemble a farriers buttress. This would have been used to trim the hoof. I think the wood handle and dogleg would offer some points to apply muscle to the operation. http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-TOOLS-Farriers-Buttress-antique-tool-hand-forged-/150619681246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2311a1f1de
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:58:35 am by waywardangler »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:23:03 am »
Yup, that's what it is, a buttress.

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »
Thank you both, that's what we thought but weren't quite sure. It's in bad shape but I still wanted to know exactly what it is.