Author Topic: Max Pietschmann Lady from back Charcoal painting, sketch?  (Read 2541 times)

twangator

• View Profile
Max Pietschmann Lady from back Charcoal painting, sketch?
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:24:42 am »
Hello to all!  So i found this at an estate sale this weekend and I see this sketch up on the wall and decide to purchase it but i dont know if i over paid for it or who this artist really is  ::).  From my online searches I get that he was a German artist and his works have recently sold for a lot of $$$$.
Can anyone provide me mor info on this sketch? Year this is from? and a realistic value of what i can sell this for?
Thank you.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Max Pietschmann Lady from back Charcoal painting, sketch?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:54:58 am »
Hi,

Are you sure that it is an original sketch, and not a signed etching, although I'd have expected to see something like 24/500 next to the signature, but not always.

How was it described in the catalogue?

twangator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:20 am »
Well I got this at an estate sale and they did'nt provide anymore information.  Was he really famous or semi-famous?  To me it looks like it is a real sketch i dont see anything that looks like a reprint.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:38:12 am »
I've never heard of him, but a quick search shows that even his etchings can fetch a few $$$ It can sometimes be very difficult to tell a sketch from an etching whilst still in the frame. I don't know  this chaps style, perhaps he signed outside of the main picture rather than integrating the signature in the work. 

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:06 am »
IMO this is not the original etching but a copy. Around the edge you can see the paper is raised. This results from the plate when making the impression. I have no idea as to value.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:59:46 am »
You could be right, Wayward. It's just that I wasn't sure whether I was looking at something that has been mounted twice, which I thought might account for that. That was all the fqshion when I was doing photography back in the 70s

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:04 am »
Quite evident in the signature pic...

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 10:24:54 am »
The Bather, a 9x15 original plate is only 25 pounds ($40) on this site http://smallworks.org.uk/art3.htm

Some good info on the artist on this site https://www.idburyprints.com/artist/MAX__PIETSCHMANN_1996.htm

twangator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:32:26 am »
Wow! thank you for that info! Does it matter that the artist signed it?  I paid WAY more than $40 for this piece. :'(

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:43:40 am »
Signatures will always (or nearly) enhance the value of a piece of art. By how much obviously depends upon the artist in question. I think you'll perhaps need to take this to a fine art studio/shop and ask them, maybe ask them if they'd be interested in buying it... it looks clean and ready to go .... Even if you decide to keep it, at least you'll know its approximate retail value (their offer x2 minimum)