Author Topic: Hoosier cabinet  (Read 1423 times)

Drina81

• View Profile
Hoosier cabinet
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:46:13 pm »
Greetings! This is my first real post. I recently inherited this from my mother. She was a lover of classic roses, books, and antiques.

This Hoosier was in our house for many years, long before I was born, and I've always wanted to know more about it. It doesn't appear to be in the best shape as it is. I don't believe it is complete. I know that the flower bin is intact and all the drawers are accounted for. The backing appears to be missing however. I am unsure of the manufacturer or the date of manufacture. I am hoping that someone on the forum is kind and knowledgeable enough to give some insight. I would like to know about how much something like this would be worth.

The top section appears to be clamped to the bottom half and I believe the table top is some sort of enamel. I believe the stained glass pieces were made for my mother by a friend.

Any help is much appreciated!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Hoosier cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:04:34 pm »
Run a search on the questions forum for Hoosier and you'll see several of these types of cabinets that have come up on the forum in the last year or two. If I am remembering correctly the enamel work surface replaced the earlier zinc work surface (they discovered that zinc was dangerous and leeched into the food) and before zinc the surfaces were wood.

Have you thought about finding some old reclaimed wood and replacing the back? It looks like a fun project and a lovely Hoosier in the making!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:52:37 am »
A piece of 3/16" Luan plywood, stained to match, would work fine on the backside.

CaryW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:47:22 am »
My parents have one of those in their home. They've had it ever since I was born. I don't know if it was in the family or they bought it at an antique shop. There's has the rolling front door over the large opening at the bottom of the cabinet. There's is in pretty good shape but they don't have the metal dispenser in the upper cabinet. You may be able to find another one that isn't in great shape but has the pieces that you are missing and use them for your cabinet.
What's the best shipping service for shipping antiques I sell and buy online?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:04:38 am »
Almost anything will work for a backing. Like Cogar said just a sheet of inexpensive Luan would work.  There may have been a roll top on the opposite side but a few did not have them. If yours did you should be able to see the attachments for it. I would just clean it and use it as they are not really all that valuable. Most bring from $200. to $500. depending on condition. Since yours is not complete it may be on the lower end of that price range. The clamps are original ,, I have seen many like that and a few that were freestanding.