Author Topic: Rolltop Desk ID?  (Read 1853 times)

cesigmon

• View Profile
Rolltop Desk ID?
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:24:28 am »
Some years back, some of our friends gave us an antique rolltop desk.  It breaks into 3 main parts, the top and 2 side "towers" with the drawers that the top sits on.  I have look it over looking for the name of who made it, but am coming up empty.  Is there any special place that maybe I'm missing that would help me ID this thing?  Thanks!

waywardangler

Re: Rolltop Desk ID?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:07:11 am »
Sounds more like a Wooton desk than a rolltop to me. Do you have any pics. here's a site that has pics of Wootons and different rolltops http://www.antiquariantraders.com/c-22-desks.aspx

cesigmon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:01:23 am »
Here's a picture of it....  please disregard all the clutter and mess on the desk.  Hopefully you can see enough of it to get an idea.  Like I said before, there are 3 main pieces, one being the top, and then the 2 side parts with the drawers that the top sits on.  The top of course also has the roll down part that covers everything.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »
Not a Wooton for sure. Looks like a regular rolltop but most do not come in 3 pieces. I have not heard of the drawer sides being separate pieces before and it makes me wonder if this is an assembled out of a box piece. How are the drawer sides constructed...dovet ailed, finger joints, box joints, butt joints, etc.?  Is the back finished or unfinished? How does the tambour top attach to the base? Some makers branded (burned in) their name on the inside of a drawer panel. Some used labels. Some that did not want anyone to know who built it, for one reason or another, did not mark their product.

cesigmon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:50:23 pm »
The drawers themselves appear to be dovetailed.  The back side of the entire desk is finished just like the rest of it.  And the top has places on the bottom side of the bottom lip to nail or screw the desk top piece to the 2 bottom parts.  We've never attached it as we've moved a lot and it's easier just to move it in 3 pieces.  I will try to take all of the drawers out and look for a makers mark somewhere inside...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:18:32 pm »
Newer versions (post 1980's) were made as cheaper imports where the drawers were separate and bolted to the top.  Had one myself at one point!  They looked nice and were "cheaper" to purchase...thus more readily available to the masses resulting in more sales.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:30:16 pm »
The handles look a little...off. A little different than most of the older roll tops. But that could just be me. Definitely need more pictures to make any real age opinions. Pretty desk either way.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 01:08:15 pm »
Bottom section looks like the ones all my teachers had when I was in school. Perhaps  it was made in separate sections so that one could purchase only the pieces needed. Could have had different size top sections to fit or simply use the bottom desk only.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 03:11:06 am »
The wife’s grandfather was a cabinet maker, furniture maker, coffin maker, carpenter, house builder, etc. who cut the timber off his own land, sawed it at his own saw mill and built all the items for his own needs and the “contracted” needs of others. He did not “sign” any of the pieces of furniture that the wife now has …… so I don’t think he “signed” the roll-top desk he made for a customer, …….. the desk the wife tried to buy when she learned of its existence, but the heir of said wouldn’t sell it.

Cheers