Author Topic: 1883 kirby manufacturing lockset questions  (Read 1585 times)

kyleberg85

• View Profile
1883 kirby manufacturing lockset questions
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:55 pm »
Hello I have had this lockset in my possesion for a while now and have never known much about it. I really want to know more about what I am dealing with, or if it possibly has any value besides sentimental. Regardless of its value I love this piece. The only thing stamped into it is on the deadbolt face and it says

KIRBY'S PAT.
JULY 24, 83
DAYTON O

besides the little writing on it all I know is that it is very heavy at least 10-15 lbs. I really just want more info about this before either I make the mistake of selling it for to little or embarass myself for asking way to much. Thank you any help is much appreciated
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:25:10 pm by kyleberg85 »

waywardangler

Re: 1883 kirby manufacturing lockset questions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:58:50 pm »
Nice! Is it in working condition? What do you consider too little or too much? I have no idea what these go for but I do know there is a demand for the fancy ones such as this.

kyleberg85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:28:39 pm »
everything on it works perfectly I even have a key that works the deadbolt function, its really amazing that it has been preserved as well as it has. I haven't even a ball park idea of what kind of value pieces like these are worth I'm hoping someone on here does

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »
Have a look at this Web site-

http://www.oldhouseparts.com/doorknobs.htm

and compare your set to the ones shown. Yours is exceptionally nice and I am going to stick my neck out a bit and say that I think it would be on or over their higher price range of $225, if it were being sold retail on a site like this or in an antique store. However if you were to auction it on Ebay I am guessing it would go for less. I am betting it would fetch over $100 on Ebay if it with a good listing.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:08:16 pm »
Your patent information is Patent #281701 Dated July 24, 1883 to John Kirby, Jr of Ludlow, Kenturky assignor to Post & Company.  Applied for on October 16, 1882.  (He holds more than 72 US patents on pump joints, hardware and even Kirby's Canopy gas lights.)

Post & Co was a manufacturer of railway car trimming/hardware
that competed against Dayton Mfg Co (1883 - 1956) and was later bought and absorbed by them in early 1890's.  Kirby left Post & Co as Super of Works (1875 - 1883) to become Treasurer/General Mgr of Dayton Mfg in late 1800's.  He was the one who started the the fight of companys against unions in the early 1900's and prevailed with the courts against strikes

http://www.google.com/patents?id=CRZLAAAAEBAJ&printsec=claims&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kyleberg85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 03:24:15 pm »
wow that is awesome thank you for all of the good information