Author Topic: Goblets  (Read 5060 times)

flablitz

• View Profile
Goblets
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:51:08 pm »
I have had these for sometime. I think I picked them up from the flea market for not much. Lokking all over the internet I cant find an exact match for either, some similar, but not the same. Anyone that may know something about these would help considerably. Thanks in advance. Oh, I cant tell wether or not these are crystal or glass either. :P I think they are blown because the stem is hollow all the way through and bottomless. They kinda ping with a fingernail.  :D

The third pic the stem has a yellow gleam to it. Cant see it as good on the actual pic.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:52:51 pm by flablitz »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Goblets
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:42:44 pm »
    At First Thought, I thought these may be something Fostoria would do, They did make one with a base kind of like that, but looking through My Fostoria book I came up empty.  Beside the only thing I have ever seen from fostoria as is Acid etched, your for one look like Cut Glass.  The next company to consider would be Anchor Hocking, they may have put out that style, I may look around a bit later and see.  Anchor put out the manhatten which is similar in style, but not the same for sure, and beside I don't think Anchor did any etching at all.  There are so many Glass makers, and most of the common pattern can be identified easy enough, but uncommon one like yours may present a challange for sure.   Anyway sorry I can't help at the moment, but figured I would for sure have to pipe in on the Glass vs. Crystal question and Handblown.  First you have Lead Crystal, Crystal Glass and Glass.  From the looks in the pic I would say glass, but this is hard to tell, for sure it is not lead Crystal, the etching does not have the sparkle.  The tap method work after you have had some experience.  Grab a glass out of the cupboard and tap this gentlly with a fork, will probably have a thud sound.  Lead crystal will have a wonderful ring, and the tone will substain for a couple of seconds.  Now Crystal glass will usually depend on the amount of lead content, Rings closer to the sound of Lead Crystal usually being of some quality, and closer to a thud well this is glass that has a small amount of lead, usually just enough to call it Crystal Glass, also you can try the sing method which works with lead crystal, a little water and rub the rim lightly and see if it sing.  As for it being Handblown, I don't think so at least not because it is hollow.  Most Handblown you can see the ponif on the bottom where the glass was broken off the rod, sometimes it is ground down and polished and sometimes not, look at the base of the Bowl part of the goblet and you will see it if it is handblown.   The only other thing I would add is I would place these at the late century age 60's to 80's, at least based on the looks of the style.  They are most unique for sure, and hope we can find the pattern, I would like to know for sure.  Any thanks for posting 

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 12:27:43 am »
I've limited knowledge of glass, but I agree with Ironlord re probably not being hand-blown. You would still have the residue or mark of the pontil or punt where it was snapped off and ground down. I can't see how that would be possible with a hollow stem, but maybe someone will put me right there.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:34:24 am »
When I tap it with a fork it has a high pitch ring for a sec or 2 and also rubbing water around the rim makes a ring sound I guess. I took a couple photos  of the imside of the bowl, not sure if hit helps or not. The second picture is holdong it up in sunlight.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:07:21 am »
     Well you just might be right about the Hand Blown part, that looks like the pontil to me.  If so then that takes out Anchor and Fostria for sure.  Hand Blown open the door to a few thousand possible glass blowers, but usually they are more Art like.  And it sounds like it also may have passed the Crystal test too.  Not that this has gotten us any closer to who or whom made it.  Glass can be hard to ID, the use of paper or foil label was used more then marks, I may get a chance to look a bit more tonight, but have a Auction to go to all day today.  good luck and once again thanks for posting.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:50:34 am »
I take it all back .. having just Googled hand-blown hollow stems, it seems that there are a few around, but not all that common. But, I still can't find out how they're produced, pretty damn difficult, I'd say, that's why they're not that common.  :-[

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 03:07:16 pm »
The goblets look like married pieces.  Like the tops do not belong with the bottoms. A friend of mine makes very similar pieces using odd candle holders ect, and clear silicone to attach the part to hold the water/wine !! The tops and bottoms just look unbalanced to me !!

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:05:20 pm »
Here are a few pics of the place where they would be joined if so. I am pretty sure they were made together, at least as far as my eyes see (untrained lol). Idont know if yall will be able to see in the pictures.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:46:37 pm »
   I don't Believe they are married per say.  Usually when they make these item, they are made in Two pieces and put together at the factory with hot Glass.  At the Auction Today I did see the same kind of style Goblets, with the rimmed base, different at the tops, they were listed as German Glass.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:34:27 pm »
How much they want for it?  ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:14:44 pm »
It was a set of 6, went for $10.00.   Keep in mind those was Glass, and by far not as nice as your items.  They was labelled as German Glass Water Goblets.   If you are seek value on what I think yours are worth, $20.00 for the Etched on, based on uniqueiness and Crystal, as for the clear one, I would say $5.00 tops.  This is without knowing who made them.  On Ebay or any online source, if you have the name they may go higher, because if someone is looking for that item to complete the set, they will most likely look it up by name first, and If they have 3 and want 4, many would pay up to $50.00 to complete there set.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 03:17:40 pm »
Im hoping to find out a little more on them tbh. Ill hold em to them till I do.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »
To many goblets to single these out. Oh well.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 06:22:02 pm »
    No I'm sure you will find the answer here, These are unique enough that maker will poke there head up soon.  Have you imaged search Etched Crystle Goblets on Google and see what come up.  Sometimes you don't have to make a exact match, just a close style to find the answer.  Trust me on my searches if I see something I will for sure bring in up.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »
Sorry Corrected Cut Crystal Goblet, That would be consided Cut not Etched.