Author Topic: Antique Eccentric Trunk/chest  (Read 2288 times)

jcomas311

• View Profile
Antique Eccentric Trunk/chest
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »
Hello everyone. I have come across quite an interesting piece at an estate sale. I normally do no have any issues identifying a piece but this one has absolutely no markings on it whatsoever or any kind of serial numbers. It is a medium sized chest/trunk which has an extrodinary painting of a leapard on with a scenic background. Inside is a velvet lining. I was wondering how to identify this piece. What is a good age to estimate this piece at? What type of wood do we have here? What would a rough estimate of how much it would be worth in a retail market setting. I know there are collectors out there for these types of items but does the fact that my piece has a hand painted wild animal and scenic background make it more valuble? Could this piece be possibly be handcrafted? I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this piece? Does anyone one find it extrodinary that someone actually painted this on the trunk? I find the leapard painting on this to be unbelievable considering that it was painted on wood.  Here are the photos! Thanks everyone. I am glad i can share this piece with you all.

waywardangler

Re: Antique Eccentric Trunk/chest
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »
Pier 1 perhaps? It has that new made to look old feel to it to me, especially the hardware.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:11:46 pm by waywardangler »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:29:33 pm »
Definitely newer, made within the past 10 years or so. I see them at Ross a lot. Still pretty though!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:27:30 am »
Yeah, the crackle finish and everything looks like Cost Plus, Target, Pier 1 to me too. Darn, sorry we didn't have better news for you!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jcomas311

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:05:51 am »
Any idea of the value?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »
I would say around $10. That's what they sell for at Ross brand new. I like the painting. If it were plain I would say $2.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 03:11:33 pm »
How big is this chest ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:55:16 am »
Sorry for the news...but it is a new piece made to look old!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:06 am »
Looks like decorative boxes I pick up at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  I keep one in the bathroom to hold my toothbrush and daily-use toiletries.  When company comes, I just close the lid.  Quite lovely -- but quite ordinary, too.  Sorry!