Author Topic: Brass pieces  (Read 3821 times)

flablitz

• View Profile
Brass pieces
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:55:24 am »
I figured since I was going through some stuff Id post it. I have inquired on the internet the best of my knowledge to what these were. I am more stumped on what the small ones are called to even try and reference. I think they are handmade. Thanks and sorry for the bothers, just trying to learn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe the below is actually copper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one looks really worn and old and has no hallmark it also has a seam in it.

waywardangler

Re: Brass pieces
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »
Common India and China brass objects of recent cast IMO. The world and stores are full of them.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:12:56 pm »
Thanks alot. I figured Id throw it out there to see what others said, as I am completely clueless on it. Nice to know though. :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:48:29 pm »
You didn't buy that first one from Ironlord1963 on ebay did you.  I sold one just like that a month or so ago.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:35:44 pm »
Nope, but how much ya sell it for, if ya dont mind me asking.  ???

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:25:34 pm »
    Had to dig around my turbo lister, but I sold it for $4.00 + $9.00 Shipping,   I actually posted it 6 times, every other time I dropped to $1.00,  I got it for free in a free box of misc Brass items along side the road.  Also had a Brass Bathtub in the lot that went for $20.00 + $9.00. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:34:51 pm »
    I think you should dig around a bit more the last two you posted, Those do not look so common, One has a name to look into, and the last one, What is it made of ?  This one sure looks to have some age to it.  Those last two may yield some intresting stuff.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:16:32 pm »
Imgoing to research the name a lil more, but have come up empty in previous searches. The second I guess is made of bronze, it has a different coloring to the bronze one and is much heavier. Any suggestions what to clean it with?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »
Personnally I would not Clean it, It has a great old look as is.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 03:55:49 pm »
Also had a Brass Bathtub in the lot that went for $20.00 + $9.00.

How much it way? Get like 80-90cent a lb here.  :P

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 03:58:46 pm »
Sorry it was a tiny Bathtub Figurine   :D   about 6" Long 

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 03:29:30 pm »
BTW, what are the little brass items called so I can reference it? the last 2.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »
The Bowl are for Incence Burning, as for the rest just india Brass items, made more for decorative purposes then use.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 05:52:45 pm »
Having no luck finding anything on those last 2 :(

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 06:18:26 pm »
     Looking a bit harder at the last two,  The next to the last one looks more like copper then Brass, I ran a search on Jinuu Copper and got lots of Science artitcles on stuff about copper, way above my head though, not sure if that is a connection or not.   Let me make sure I see the letters on the bottom right. " Jiunn Maa "  .  The name and title seem Asian in origins, but not sure.   Unless this was made to look old, I would feel safe at placing this item in the early 19th, but this is just from the looks and style The footed bowl was pretty popular in the Victorian era espically Late Victorian.  Sometimes these thing takes time to find, years even may times you will be researching something else and stumble on the answer.   As for the second one, it appears more pottery or ceramic like, maybe just the pics but doesn't look metal.  This one really looks old, but that may not always be necessary the truth, extreame wear and tear can do a number, then the items made to look old.  In this case, not much reason in making something look that old that usually has little value overall.  This more happens when a name is one the item, Unless they wanted to make it look relic in nature.  Either way the looks of this piece would say really old, but with no real clues to go one, this would be more like Folk Art, made and used by the same person sort of issue.  If so maker will be almost impossible to conclude.  Basically here you will need to persue more of the age issue.  You did note that it appears to have a seam line, This would be a pressed mold issue, this would almost disclude it being a Folk item, that would say Manufactered for sale generally.  So with all that you and I are probably more lost, just stick with it,  Stay in the trade of Antiques and Collectible and the answer will come, let just hope Soom I would like to know too.  :D