Author Topic: Antique Fischer Upright Piano  (Read 4754 times)

flablitz

• View Profile
Antique Fischer Upright Piano
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:42:10 pm »
Good deal or not? Ive never dealt with pianos, so not sure to buy or not.

Antique Fischer Upright Piano
J&C Fischer Piano Company NY, NY Est. 1840
Serial # 136033 Built 1911-1920
Works, needs tuning and refinish.

Price 50$

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:45:59 pm by flablitz »

waywardangler

Re: Antique Fischer Upright Piano
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:48:20 pm »
It should be free and they should deliver it to your house. This will cost you some dollars to get tuned, moved, and presentable. Uprights are extremely common and hard to sell.

flablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:51:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I wasnt to sure about it.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:27:27 pm »
Can ditto Wayward's comments for my area.  Local Auction House wont even take 'em anymore and they go for soooo little $$ it's just not worth it.  The cost of moving and restoration is prohibitive.  That said, if you want it...  ;D

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:19:36 pm »
I have one !! Take a hint,,, don`t buy it !!  I wouldn`t take a free one !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 07:47:10 pm »
    I bought one years ago when I was into music, well It was way H%$# to move, And I just left it in the house, and back then it was a couple hundred dollars just to tune it.

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:26:13 pm »
Coming from a musical family (my mother has given piano lessons since she was 16) I agree with the other guys for the most part.  Now, If you are wanting it for yourself to use then that's not a bad price. It will cost you probably several hundred dollars to get it back to playable but for self use it would be worth it. I've always wanted an old upright like this :(  My husband says if I ever buy one I better plan on moving it myself lol

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:38:22 am »
There used to be a TV show many years back, over here in the UK, and I can't for the life of me recall what it was called. But each week it used to end with the two teams smashing the living daylights out of what probably were, very sound uprights, with sledgehammers. In some ways a crying shame, but that just shows you how little value they've had for many years. I suppose if you think that each school, in this country, had at least one, that is quite a few knocking around.... However,, if that 'the name escapes me' programme had gone on for a few more years, it might have eventually added scarcity value to those that survived!  ;D

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 04:35:28 am »
Piano Demolition Derby

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 10:57:03 am »
"We don't just tickle the ivories!"

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 11:07:26 am »
I can't help but think that the low value on uprights is just more proof that the educational system no longer values music education in this country.  Music has become optional in most curricula, so many young people never get a chance to see if they would like to learn music.  Apparently, if it's not drums or electric guitar, or (god help us!) the ability to spit, hock and thump one's chest all at once while a buddy trills between two or three octaves in rapid succession but with no melodic sense -- then young people just don't consider it worthy.

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 12:05:34 pm »
Put on Yoko Ono's album if you really want some shrill...and that is from the early 70s. :P

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 05:55:39 pm »
Agree with you Curious Collector on the comments. 

A few years ago we gave away one of our family pianos that had been carried down through the family.  We didn't need two.  We kept the valuable one that is also ornately carved. 

We found a "needy" family that really needed it for their daughter to take lessons.  Best thing we ever did.  We still run into them and their family still has family nights when they all pull out musical instruments and plays together!  That is worth it's weight in gold!

Eventually, with all the demolition of these fine pieces, they will become collectible again.  In my area, they only baby grands....and with electric innerds as well!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!