Author Topic: Wood type?  (Read 7729 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Wood type?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 06:06:08 am »
You probably will not need the wax if it has a modern finish !! All it will do is sit on top of the finish and dull it !! Just use the Old English scratch cover. It is an oil type and will cover and shine it up a bit. If you want to touch up the scratched areas only after the Old English, Use a neutral paste type shoe polish  ( I guess they still sell it ) and just apply with the fingertip to the scratched areas, let sit about five minutes and buff off. Try to apply the Old English one day and the polish the next day !!

waywardangler

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 06:15:16 am »
Mart, I believe you are contradicting yourself. If the finish is of a modern type, won't the Old English, being an oil type finish, just sit on top, dull it, and attract dust?

Wax is a polish used to add a thin protective layer above and beyond whatever finish is on an object. Cars with a clear coat are waxed. The clear coat is a modern finish. A dull polyurethane surface, when properly waxed, will brighten up and stay that way until the wax wears off or air qualities degrade it.

I do not understand your views on using paste wax, properly applied, to any modern finish.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 06:30:19 am »
It depends on the finish !!  If it has that slick, almost plastic finish, they used at one time, and if the product has beeswax in it, it only dulls and collects dust. Don`t know what the stuff was but it was very prevalent in the 70`s when everyone wanted a high shine !! You can see it if you look at the edge of a piece !! The Old English is a rub on - rub off so most  that is left of it is a micro thin layer !! Much similar to any oil type furniture polish !!  This has just been my experience with some of those pieces and I really can`t see enough in the pics to tell but I would just try one at a time. !! JMO

waywardangler

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 06:33:30 am »
Okay then I did not understand your original posting but I do now.