Author Topic: Wood type?  (Read 7737 times)

modhar

• View Profile
Wood type?
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:45:28 pm »
I recently got a apartment sized drop leaf dining table and a tea cart. The 2 different sources from whom I got them told me they are mahogany. But they look different. If anybody can identify the wood, it would be greatly appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Wood type?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:13:00 pm »
Table looks like pine from what I can see !! Tea cart has no close-up of the grain so I can`t tell on it !! Mahogany can be different colors from the finish used but the grain is a very tight, fairly straight, grain !!

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:25 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I'm posting a couple of pics from different angle.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:40:08 pm »
With the leaves up on the tea cart.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 03:35:16 pm »
Do the legs with the metal feet belong with the table ??  Now I can see why they are different, the table has been totally stripped, bleached and refinished. I have owned and still do several of these pieces. They were made in the 30`s or 40`s and are Duncan Phyfe repros. I  have never seen one the color of yours. Normally they are the same color as the tea table although I would not say that they were never that color,, you never know, but I doubt it.  So they probably are both mahogany !!

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 04:37:17 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I totally agree with you. After reading your post I took a good look and the under side of the table is exactly the same color as the legs, but the top is little lighter, although at the same time the pics, I think because of the light shows a greater contrast. Thanks for mentioning Duncan Phyfe, because that was what the seller told me exactly. The metal brackets that hold the drop leaves have "LARSEN" name on them. Thanks.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:11:12 pm »
The pictures are not clear enough or close enough to give a definitive answer in my opinion. The tea cart does not appear to be mahogany but finished to look like mahogany.  The drop leaf does look like mahogany but the end grain and side grain would be nice to see to determine if it is mahogany.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 05:49:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I will try to take better pictures in daylight and post them. May be I should first buy a good camera, because the pictures posted were taken with my cell phone. Thanks.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 03:39:17 am »
sometimes it is easier to identify the type of wood via a picture of the unfinished underneath side of the table top.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:35 am »
Thanks Cogar, waywardangler and mart for your response. This is the closest picture I could reproduce of the grains and color.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:37:38 am »
Hi cogar, I have tried to pics of the top and bottom to compare

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 11:39:53 am »
This is the picture of the legs

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 11:42:21 am »
These are the pics of top and bottom side of the extension leaf

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 11:50:51 am »
Still too grainy for me.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 11:51:06 am »
I had also bought a set of end tables which I am planning to finish myself. As you can see from the picture there are a lot of scratches and little gouges, but nothing deeper than a mm. As you must have realized I am new to this and my understanding fom the internet is that I have to take the surface off with steel wool and then apply some sort of filler and the seal it and then polish it. Please guide me through this.